73. A Promise upon Love

The glass reflecting off of the globules reflected against Emperor Guang's eyes as he squinted his eyes to look at them. He was getting on in age and though he was only 35 this year- the 15th year since the Guang Dynasty began; he felt his eyes already going bad. He had felt the severity of the lights giving him a headache recently and yet couldn't help but find his way into this room full of glass menageries- his most precious possessions.

He ran his fingers over the smooth surface of the glass globules and artefacts and reached a table full of a glass map; a landscape map made of glass where, in the entirety of Kanglun was laid down.

A triumphant smile made its way to his face as he stared at the map.

In place of the landscape mark that was previously on the map, all that remained now was the Blazing Sun wooden name plate. The glass flag had toppled over and was replaced by a flag bearing the Sun mark.

What he decided at the trial yesterday was the right decision. Tyranny could only last so much longer when it concerns the sovereign power.

A monarch who thrives on the displeasure of his people was bound to die a miserable death.

And that was the last thing he wanted. Power extracted through force and coercion was but a sand bag with holes punctured in it; and the only power that reinstates itself as infallible is the kind of power that comes from loyalty. The authority that comes from trust and reverence is incomparable to anything else. And that is why Guang valued Haoran so much.

And that was also why he decided to grant Fu Lin a proposition to save himself.

Fu Lin was a Silver Mountaineer- a member of the Imperial family and therefore could be reckoned a representative of the entirety of Silver Mountain. While earlier Guang wanted him dead due to several reasons, including the risk of the Silver Mountain Imperial family returning with a re-capture battle and Haoran's messy entanglement with him when he heard the Imperial family died, he had changed his mind.

This meant Fu Lin was the only alive member of the and he was completely powerless due to the sudden death of his family. A pawn that was harmless and didn't have to be eliminated to be made use of.

By granting amnesty to Fu Lin—a Silver Mountaineer—under such conditions, he had effectively established himself as a benevolent, merciful monarch before the Silver Mountain civilians.

And there were two ways this proposition could go. The first was Fu Lin accepting the terms given and swearing loyalty to Blazing Sun, which of course would be the best-case scenario because when Silver Mountain civilians see their only remaining imperial head turn sides they'd

also take to following his lead. And Haoran would return to his side on a happy note. And in a situation where Fu Lin refuses him, it still wasn't too bad a deal for him. People would see his attempt at peace and might lower their defences against him, as Fu Lin's refusal was his own accord and wasn't his responsibility.

As for Haoran? He too will return to Guang's side upon Fu Lin's refusal... just a tad bit unhappy, perhaps.

He was called back from his thoughts when he heard the door behind opening slightly, and the head of a servant pop in to inform, "Apologies for the disturbance, Your Imperial Royal Majesty. One of your subjects is here to see you."

"Who?" he asked, placing the glass pieces down. "The Imperial General."

A few moments later, General Haoran's black and gold robes came into view as he walked forward in the same equally stable, heavy strides as he had done all this time. He was completely clean, unlike when he was in the prison and his hair was braided once again with the crown of Blazing Sun securely atop his head in place.

The Emperor didn't seat himself this time as he stood at its head, facing the General. A stiff moment passed as they gazed into each other's eyes determinedly.

Emperor Guang raised a brow, looking at Haoran's eyes changing by the second, "What? Did you perhaps come here to seek my most private time to assassinate me and finish these troubles once for all?"

Haoran immediately fell to his knees, "This lowly one would not dare."

Guang laughed, "So you say, but that's not how it seemed when you let a particular Silver Mountaineer go even after my command to veritably kill all of them."

Haoran gulped slightly ashamed, "This lowly one deserves death."

"I swear to god Haoran," Emperor Guang said seriously, "You really need to stop seeking death so much. It isn't as pleasant as you think it is."

"That is why...," Haoran croaked, "That is why I have come to ask something of you-,"

Emperor Guang burst into a horrifying laughter. He laughed and laughed until tears flew forth from his eyes and he almost toppled a glass piece from the table. That got him to stop as he exclaimed, "Is it...ha... is it bad that I already know what you're about to ask?"

"Your...Majesty?"

"Your Majesty, this lowly one is here with the measly request towards something extremely selfish that is absolutely abominable. But... this lowly one really can't help himself. Therefore, I plead to you to grant me this wish. The wish to not let my beloved get killed," Emperor Guang paused, "That's it, isn't it?" Haoran was speechless.

His expression gave rise to a bout of laughter from the emperor. "How many years have I been with you? How could I not know what you were about to ask?" His voice then changed, "However, me knowing what it is doesn't mean it's something I can grant in passing."

Haoran bowed once again, "I... know it's horrible of me but please, your Majesty. I beg you-,"

"But that also doesn't mean I wouldn't grant it either,' He cut in to see the General snap his head with how fast he looked at the Emperor, "I've put you through a lot and this is the least I can do. I'll not execute him but I wouldn't house him in my empire either. He shall be banished out of the entire continent of Kanglun and he shall survive somewhere out of the continent. Is that good enough?"

Haoran's voice quivered in gratefulness. "Absolutely, Your Majesty."

"But..." The Emperor continued, "You need to promise me that you'd go through this marriage no matter what happens. Sometimes love is not all that, Haoran. We've all had to let go of something to come to where we are today. Marry this woman and even if you can't be happy, maybe you'll find peace with time. So promise me that you'd definitely marry her, under all circumstances, unless I say otherwise."

Haoran said grimly, "I promise upon the devotion of my love to marry her, Your Imperial royal majesty."

▪──── ⚔ ────▪

Don't forget to vote and comment!