1: Calling

I got called to a nation called L'Manburg, after a war had been fought, and last lives had been taken. I never understood why the mortals of the realm had been given three lives, maybe to make up for their stupidity, or the dangers that this world held. Yet I had never been called to the area for a final death.

This was an exciting day, blood had run and soaked the grass, and not one, but two lives had been taken. It was not my role to be the one who killed, no matter what rumours had run about. It was my role to guide the dead, let them into the afterlife.

The afterlife was different for each soul that entered, and each mortal saw something different, whether it be some sort of purgatory, or their worst nightmare. Sometimes it was a childhood home, and sometimes it was darkness as far as the eye could see.

It was my job to gather the souls, take them to the afterlife, and if needed, bring them back. It was my job to return souls to their bodies after the first two deaths, and it was my job to listen to the gods and whatever rules they set.

I was originally called for an older man, who had died of a heart attack. He led the life of a president, a tyrant who had abused his people. His soul acted drunk even though there was no more alcohol running through him, and he went on with a bout of complaining. There wasn't much explaining I could do until he had calmed down, so I decided to check up on him when he got his act together and decided to act sober. Only then would I explain what had happened.

After the reaping of the man with a heart attack, Schlatt was his name, I stayed around. Tensions were high even though celebrations ran wild, and I saw a familiar face. It was Technoblade.

Of course he had to be around while there was a final death, he was the cause of many deaths, and he was going to be the cause of many more, I could only watch the man with a piglin mask behind my own.

Technoblade, with netherite armor and his sword drawn, with his royal clothing soaked in blood, and his red eyes that pierced through his mask. He looked, oddly human, which was weird for the warrior, but he looked happy, happy before he saw the announcement that was about to made.

He didn't see me, and even if he did, then he would not recognize me, as I never revealed myself to him, and even if he had seen me in the past, that was years ago and he surely forgot about it.

There were two forms that I could use, the soul form, which I used to traverse the afterlife and bring souls to it, and the physical form. Where I could interact with items and people.

There were only few people who could see me in the soul form, including gods, and those blessed by gods. Otherwise, I could only be seen if I revealed myself.

I looked to the people talking, it switched before four different people and I could feel a rattling in my bones, something was going to happen. I backed into the shadows and got a weird glance from someone in a green hoodie, I ignored it.

Something big was about to happen, and I watched as Technoblade stood and presented two withers. The entire ground blew up and all hell ran loose.

I was called once more, to the area that the explosion that came from. Nobody had noticed me appearing and reaping the soul of the ex-president before disappearing, and I expected the same for the other soul. As there were withers flying and people fighting.

I shifted into my soul form and glided to the dead body, where I could see and man crying with a corpse. The spirit was slightly transparent, looking over the blonde man and his dead corpse. He looked at me and smiled, as if he knew this was coming. He reached a hand out and I shook it, he spoke, "Wilbur Soot, at your service, and you are?"

The man looked slightly deranged, a large hole where the sword had impaled him, and multiple other injured from things that I could not tell. I responded in an even tone, "I am here to guide you to the afterlife."

He looked slightly crestfallen, before climbing out of the hole and looking at the chaos. His eyes widened and he smiled manically, "Oh let me stay a moment would you. Look at it, L'Manburg, my unfinished symphony."

I let him and only followed him, standing beside him and looking at the crater. There was no other feeling in my bones and I knew there would not be another soul that had to be taken to the afterlife.

"It had to be destroyed you see, it was the only way." He continued. He didn't regret his actions. That was good, an eternity of grief wasn't good. He turned to me and opened his mouth once more, "I knew it was coming, I could feel it. So, where are we off to?"

I turned to him before turning in front of us, creating a portal to the afterlife. It was another dimension, and he stepped in before me. We stepped into his afterlife. It was an ability I had, if I was talking to a soul, or entered with them, I could see their afterlife, as clear as they could.

Wilbur seemed almost disappointed, and before he could stop himself, he asked me, "A train?"

I nodded, explaining to him the afterlife and he hummed a song. Afterwards, I opened another portal and just as I was about to step through, he asked, "Will I be here forever? Alone?"

I turned back towards him, "Alone? No no, you have the President! And whoever dies from now on too! I will come and visit don't worry. As for forever? Yes, unless someone else steps in."

His eyes widened and he stepped forward, reaching out for me as I stepped backwards, closing the portal in front of me and I returned to the mortal world.

I reached my arms out into the air above me and fell on the remaining grass, looking at the chaos around me, speaking to myself, "That was nice, too bad time here moves quickly, oh he'll be in such a worse place when I go back. I should get him a deck of cards or something."

I looked back towards the man who had been clutching the corpse, deciding to take another look at it. I slid down the hill, still in my soul form, and walked behind him. The man had wings. Wings that were torn apart sure, but wings. Large black wings that were destroyed in the blast. I took a look at the body.

A sword through his stomach, a wound on his shoulder, presumably from an arrow, a wild grin on his face, and a blonde man hugging him like he wasn't gone.

"Gnarly scars for the man." I said, the scars were sure to reach to his soul, and the sentence had popped out of my mouth before I could stop it.

The man's head popped up at that, and he dropped the body. Turning around and looking at me.

My eyes widened as I realized who it was. A man I hadn't spoken to in a long time. A man with large dark grey wings. A man with a green and white stripped hat and dark blue eyes.

A god

We both spoke at the same time.

"Phil"

"Thanatos"