28: Skulls

Wither skeletons.

Techno always had an affinity for withers. He was plotting, he was ready for war. Not a war, not a battle. He was plotting for a masacre, he was plotting for everyone to die, everyone who had wronged him would perish.

He continued laughing as Tommy backed away and I just stood there in awe, how long had he been plotting this? Had he been plotting to kill everyone before the execution?

Each skull rattled as the door retracted into the ceiling, sounding like a cacophony of maracas. Tens of black ash covered maracas lined up perfectly in row after row.

"Oh we're going to do so much violence! They're so screwed!" Techno exclaimed, looking proudly over his hidden treasures. Tommy backed up and I took a few steps inside, in awe at the sheer amount of heads. Did he have more? How many wither skeletons did it take to get these in such perfect conditions? Usually wither skeleton's head became cracked and damaged, unuseable to create the wither. Yet he had so many.

"Oh they thought two withers were bad! They should not have messed with Technoblade!" He walked further into the hidden base, two soul sand structures at the end, ready to summon the beasts of destruction.

"They should have let me stay in retirement!" Technoblade held a mad smile on his face, his eyes wide open as he turned back at us. It was almost like Wilbur's smile, the face of insanity.

I stepped towards one of the walls as Techno kept on laughing, and inspected the mounted heads. They were eerie, and it almost felt like they were watching our every move, ready to strike when we weren't looking.

I turned my head as Tommy ran forward, his shoes echoing in the small space. He reached up to Techno, taking him by the shoulders, and looking straight at his face, "Ok! Look at my in the eyes, look at me in the eyes, we're just getting the discs back alright?"

His face was full of worry, and he pulled his hands down and biting one of his grimy fingernails. He looked ready to flee at a moment's notice, turning his head to make sure the door was still open.

Techno took a step back, smiling widely, "Yeah, we're getting the discs back by any means necessary"

Tommy ran up to him in a panic, staring to scream at him, "No-no! Not by any means-"

He stopped mid sentence and I tilted my head, what was his thought process? Would he go against Techno and leave the only safe place for him?

Actually, why did he come back? He could've went to L'Manburg, where all of his friends were, so why did he come all the way out here in the tundra?

The kid continued his sentence, looking down and losing much of the fevour that he had, "I- Well I guess by any means."

He jumped up, realizing what he said, and grabbed Techno by the shoulders again, "Techno look at me dead in the eyes, although they have wronged me, it was because of Wilbur, not because they chose to."

Wilbur?

What did Wilbur have to do with this?

He was dead, he died a while ago, and he had nothing to do with the mortal realm, unless they counted his ghost. Wilbur's actions affected L'Manburg sure, but they didn't lead to anything that happened afterwards.

Everything that happened was their own doing.

We will not upset L'manburg, we will not upset Tubbo." Tommy continued, his eyes wide open in panic, he seemed out of breath from just that sentence.

Tubbo, the current President? The one who kidnapped me and tried to execute my friend? That same Tubbo who went out of his way to upset us?

I let out a small laugh and got strange looks from both Techno and Tommy, before they looked back at each other and Techno spoke, "Ehhh, We'll negotiate the final details later."

Tommy looked indignant as Techno closed the door and walked towards the end of the base, where an armor stand held enchanted netherite armor, glistening in the light.

Before following, Tommy turned to me, "Why did you laugh? This is serious, we can't let The Blade destroy L'Manburg!"

I only shook my head and laughed again, after everything? After fighting and kidnapping and literal executions? I could give less than a shit about L'Manburg and its residents.

Except Phil of course, we'd have to kidnap him and yell at him for everything.

I responded, "L'Manburg was a failed country even before it was blown up, Wilbur knew that. There's nothing that stops fate from choosing its course, we're just going to uh, help speed it up."

Tommy looked even more aghast, then a look of confusion entered his face, "Before L'Man- How the fuck you know about that? I didn't see you anywhere near L'Manburg, and you've been here with Technoblade this whole time?"

In a smaller voice, "Wil never mentioned you."

Tommy looked at the ground, and pity started forming in my chest, he was, vulnerable, his only home and his only friends something that a complete stranger spoke about destroying, life was hard on this kid.

"I've had some history lessons with my time on this land, that's it," I said, hoping that would be a good enough explanation.

Saying I talked to the soul of your dead brother figure would be a great way to be sent to an asylum.

Technoblade, who had been checking all sorts of chests which lined the walls, muttered to himself, "Lemme check out the armor actually, this is my backup set"

Tommy must've overheard him, and he went running, grabbing and stealing all of the armor right before Techno could even touch it.

He slipped on the armor there and then, it was loosely tied together and rattled on the kid's small form. He put on every piece of armor as quickly as he could, and it looked terrible.

"You just yoinked all of it?" Techno spoke with a voice between indignant and exasperated. Was this what Tommy was like all the time? A little raccoon stealing everything out of everyone's grasps?

I'd need to lock more of my stuff up.