40: Knife

His pink hair was tangled in knots and he had huge bags under his eyes. Did he even sleep?

I backed away apologizing and he just waved me off. "Are you ok?" I asked.

He hummed and stumbled towards the ladder. He tripped and I ran forward to catch him. I barely held him up as he almost fell.

"Ok, you're going back to bed, you're in no state to be walking." I said as he grumbled. He didn't fight me as I led him back to him room, setting him down on the bed.

Techno closed his eyes and rested his head on the pillow. I sat down on his chair, "Did you get any sleep?" I asked.

He grumbled and I only caught one word, 'voices'

Voices? What voices?

He pulled himself up and rested his head on the wall, taking a breath before asking, "What are you?"

I paused, this wasn't related to our conversation was it? It couldn't be.

"I talked to Tommy." He continued to speak, "He said something about burn marks. Which isn't suspicious considering you did die in lava... except for the fact they were festering red and black flesh.. which aren't burn scars."

I was about to respond when he kept speaking, "The voices, they won't stop screaming and howling. They've seen you, I've seen you.. somewhere before."

My mouth was dry, and I stood up to respond, turning around to see a knife at my throat. Quicker than I could see, Technoblade had gotten out of bed and pinned me against a wall.

He gritted his teeth as he spat at me, "Philza vouched for you, but he's too trusting sometimes.. So answer the question... What are you."

"When was the last time you slept?" I asked, he was shaking, his eyes wild, he was panting.

He moved the knife closer and I raised my hands, he stopped while I pulled off my hood. He slowly pulled the knife back, not enough for me to move, but just enough for me to pull my mask off.

He gasped as I pulled mask off, dropping in on the floor. He backed up as I started to explain, "Faustian burns... I don't know how long ago I got them.. but that's what Tommy was talking about."

He closed his mouth, "Only known to be gained through Faustian bargains, also known as a deal with the devil. If the devil existed that is."

"Then how did you get them?" He asked, knife still in his grip.

"Let's just say someone has very twisted humour... Sometimes they get better, sometimes they're like this." I pointed at my head, and I knew what he was seeing.

Red burning flesh with oozing black skin, em dead looking eyes, it was something I'd seen in the mirror too often, I didn't even know what my face looked like anymore. It was always covered in some sort of burn. I could only imagine how it looked now with the added lava burns.

"Who?" He asked, pulling the knife back up.

"I can't tell you." I said simply.

He rose the knife back to my throat, "Yes you can."

I shook my head slightly, "Not if you want to stay alive I can't."

"What was the deal for?" He asked.

I shook my head again, reaching one of my arms to hold it, "I don't remember. It's all fuzzy.. it was so long ago Y'know."

He sighed, but left the knife where it was, looking me in the eyes, "That doesn't answer the initial question.. What are you."

I sucked in a breath, "I'm death."

He lifted the knife to touch my neck, using his other hand to grab me by the head, keeping me pinned, "Why are you here?!" He yelled, "Why have I seen you before!"

"In the wars." I simply responded, "I was there to pick up every life that you took, every soul that was left without a body."

He backed away from me and I picked up my mask, strapping it to my head.

Techno muttered, "Does Phil know this?" He asked.

"Of course." I said emotionlessly, "His wife was the one that did this to me."

Technically The god of Death took me in after I took the deal with Creation, but that was all too complicated to explain.

Techno leaned against the wall, holding his head in his hand, "Why are you here? Did you come to take the rest of the people I love?"

The rest? What was he talking about? I couldn't remember every soul I took, and I was exaggerating when I said I picked up every soul.

"Listen I-" I started to say.

Techno interrupted me, lunging forward and bringing the knife to my neck, swiping with the ferocity that he'd have against his enemy in battle.

Is that what he saw me as? His enemy?

My eyes only had time to widen before darkness enveloped me.

And all of the sudden I was back.

Breathing, panting on the couch I spent so many nights on.

And Technoblade was there.

Looking over me with a bloody knife, my blood.

"I wonder.. if I were to kill you, take your third life.. would you come back after that? Would death.. die?" He questioned, laughing maniacally.

This wasn't Techno, this wasn't the man I shared tea with or chopped wood with. He mentioned voices right? This wasn't him it was them.. but they were apart of him weren't they?

He was Texhno, the voices were The Blade.

He stopped laughing and hung his head down, looking at the floor before speaking in a dark tone, "Get out of here."

"What?" I asked, what did he mean?

He lifted his head and looked at me with slitted eyes, pointing his knife at the ladder, "Get out of here before I change my mind."

His face was dark, emotionless, and I did the only thing I could do.

I ran, down the ladder and out the door. I saw Tommy reach for me to ask where I was going, but I ran out of the door and opened a portal, running into it before he could follow.