16: The Warning

As I approached Technoblade's Cabin, I recounted the trials of the Nether journey, it actually didn't take too long now that I thought about it. It had seemed like it took a while in the moment of worry, but not much time had actually passed. Although the past was dangerous, it actually wasn't to arduous.

The sun cast long shadows across the grassy plains, a stark contrast to the fiery realm I had just traversed. My steps quickened as I looked down back at Techno's compass, driven by a sense of urgency to deliver the warning that had materialized within my troubled mind.

Technoblade was engrossed in sharpening his blades when I approached, his head turning to me as soon as I opened the door. "Back so soon, Thanatos? Did you find Phil?"

I nodded, my voice tinged with concern. "Yes, but there's something we need to discuss. Something happened when I was there."

Technoblade paused, pulling the sword from the whetstone, his gaze piercing into mine. "What happened?"

That's when I noticed it, the blood red eyes, the multitude of scars across his face, his mask wasn't on. The skull mask that resembled that of a pigs. It was there, hanging on his belt, his clothes had changed too. No longer a blood red cape and white dress shirt, but a light blue outfit with a fluffy navy jacket.

He noticed my staring and rested the sword on the anvil, "Yeah yeah, I'm in retirement, we can talk more about this after, what did you have to say?"

I shook my head and reminded myself to get back on topic, "During my visit to L'Manburg, there was an arguement, Tubbo's anger towards you, the destruction caused by your actions, it ended with preparations to go after you," I explained, my words weighed down with the gravity of the situation.

Technoblade's grip tightened, muscles tensing, his expression hardened. "So, they still can't let go of the past."

I shook my head, "Tubbo went with another person, Ranboo, Phil tried to deescalate the situation but he failed, I don't know how long you have. Philza sent me here but thought it would be too dangerous for him to come, it could have Tubbo and whatever others he has, come preemptively."

Techno turned back to the anvil, "I can handle them." He simply said as he continued to sharpen on the whetstone, before turning back to me, "But thank you for coming and warning me."

I could feel my cheeks heat up, it was good I wore my mask. I sat down and watched him sharpen the sword, grinding it back and forth and switching sides. After a couple times, he put it up to his eyes, testing the sharpness.

If he was in retirement from violence, as he said, why would he need such a sharp blade? For self defense? How was he not concerned at all?

He pulled out a sheet of sand paper and started running it across the blade. Bored of watching, I stood up and walked to the ladder, offering a single sentence of explanation, "I'll take care of Carl."

I heard a simple hum and climbed down, grabbing some supplies from the chests and opening the doors to Carl's pen.

I found solace in the company of Carl, the trusty horse entrusted to my care. It had gotten too tense in there, Technoblade was a hard man to talk to, gruff and powerful, it felt as though if I said the wrong word, that'd he take off my head just like that.

As I groomed his sleek, brown coat, a sense of calm washed over me, momentarily easing the weight of the world from my shoulders. It felt like that, the whole world resting on me. This is what I wanted wasn't it? To live a life like everyone else? Was this really a life?

Carl nuzzled his head against my chest, his warm breath tickling my skin. It was a gesture of trust, a silent acknowledgment of the bond we had formed in the absence of his master. The responsibility of caring for this noble creature was not one I took lightly.

I chuckled slightly, the horse was not this friendly when I first took care of him. Animals were better than humans, no thoughts, just simple creatures.

With gentle hands, I continued to brush his coat, removing any dirt or tangles that had accumulated during the time I was gone. As the rhythmic motion of the brush traversed his powerful frame, a sense of companionship blossomed between us. We were both displaced souls seeking refuge and connection in this world.

While my knowledge of horsemanship was limited, I approached my task with a willingness to learn and a deep desire to provide for Carl's well-being. I prepared a bucket of fresh water and nutritious oats, ensuring his sustenance was met with care and attention. The satisfaction of meeting his basic needs filled me with a sense of purpose.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a golden hue across the land, I stroked his velvety muzzle, whispering words of gratitude for his companionship. In his presence, I discovered a sense of grounding, a reminder of the simple joys that could be found amidst the chaos of the world.

Carl's gentle eyes met mine, filled with a quiet wisdom that transcended words. It was as if he understood the weight I carried, the battles fought and the burdens borne. It was like he knew more than anyone knew, a simple creature, with a complex mind.

I vowed to protect him, to provide solace in this tumultuous world, just as he offered me solace in return. He was just a horse, but he felt like much more, a friend. A friend that I would keep safe.

As I closed the stall door, leaving Carl to rest for the night, I caught the glow of a lantern. The sun had set, and standing in the doorway was a figure with a fuzzy cape. His red eyes reflecting the glow of the lantern he was holding.

I walked towards him, "What are you doing? Why are you out here?"

His eyes drifted to my mask, and it felt like he was examining my soul, "You were taking a while, I thought I should check in on you."

I scratched my the back of my neck, "Yeah sorry about that, I got distracted while brushing Carl, he's a good horse."

I walked into the open door and turned back as Techno followed me, turning the lantern off and setting it down.