33: Mining

With Techno losing all of his stuff, and him being insistent on carrying that one pickaxe around instead of having an actual weapon, that led me to the mines. To get more resources so he'd use something more suitable for combat.

Like a sword, or an axe, or a scythe.

I like scythes.

They could wrap around an opponent and just, scoop their soul out.

Of course Techno wouldn't be the one doing the scooping, but scythes were good for big swipes, or beheading someone, or full on stabbing someone.

Then again I couldn't see The Blade with a scythe, his style of fighting is more brute-ish that dashing around dodging and swinging.

It didn't even matter anyways, he'd been talking about threatening some people for his stuff back.

But he only had his pickaxe. Sure, a deadly weapon, but it just, wasn't as good as something actually made for combat.

So here I was, torch in one hand, pickaxe in another, and darkness all around.

"Bitch, get away from me!"

Oh, and Tommy was there.

I turned around to help him fight off a skeleton, it shot a couple arrows but with Tommy's screaming distracting it, and it needing time to reload, it didn't take long before we were looking at a pile of bones.

Tommy had some scratches on his armor but overall looked pretty fine. He looked at me cheekily and went to scoop up the bones and ran further down the cave.

Why did I even bother with this kid.

He wouldn't stop complaining about being stuck in the cabin, so I took him along with me to go mining, and all he's done is disturb the bats and get into trouble.

He honestly looked better than when he first arrived. His cheeks were more full, and instead of being littered with bruises and scratches, he only had a small layer of dirt, and dirt was better than blood.

His hair had grown out, and his eyes had regained some spark in them. His eyes still had bags under them, but they weren't as prominent as they previously were.

Anyways, the goal here was to get materials that would help Techno, and although some iron and coal had been found, it was slow going.

I rushed after Tommy down the cage, ignoring the random copper ore and spits of coal. If he got into something he shouldn't have and I wasn't there to protect him, there's no telling what would happen.

I saw the light of his torch ahead and ran up to it. Sliding on the stone to a stop when I finally saw his figure.

Tommy stood in front of a lava pool, frozen. His pickaxe was clenched in his hand, and as I walked up to him, I could notice a grimace on his face. The orange light flickered and popped, casting an orange glow on the stone around us. A sheen of sweat covered his forehead and he didn't look away, just staring.

"Hey Tommy, are you ok?" I asked, he flinched, but didn't look at me, just staring.

"Tommy Hey, listen, I'm going to touch you." I warned him, as to not trigger anything, and put my hand on his shoulder. I could feel his entire body tense, and he glanced at me with fear in his eyes before staring at the fire and gritting his teeth together.

"Tommy, everything is fine, we were off mining, you're staying at Techno's cabin," I listed off, trying to distract him, trying to help in any way I could.

I continued, "We came here to gather materials.. I'm your friend-"

Tommy's eyed widened in a panic, and he dropped both the pickaxe and the torch. In one fluid moment he slapped my arm off of his shoulder, and shoved me away from him.

I didn't even have time to react, he did it so suddenly, and I realized I did something wrong.

I was falling, backwards, my arm flailing behind me to try and find something to grab, and my other still outreached.

Tommy realized what he did and if possible, his eyes widened even more.

And then, orange.

Orange, and heat, and screaming. I could feel it, my clothes melting off, my mask melting, my skin melting, my pain receptors on fire.

My muted screams of pain, I couldn't help it, it was as nothing I'd felt before. Hot flashing burning pain, all around me, consuming me.

Darkness enveloped me.