Chapter two

I entered my office and pulled out my phone from my jacket

I entered my office and pulled out my phone from my jacket. The entire estate seemed quieter than usual, but the buzz surrounding Vittoria's upcoming wedding provided a subtle hum in the background. As I settled behind my desk, I located Nate's contact and dialled his number.

"What's up?" he answered, his voice inquisitive.

"I need your help," I stated, fully aware that he would immediately assume I needed assistance with a singular matter.

"Not going to happen, Nicolas," Nate replied with a hint of reluctance.

"It's not about that," I reassured him, hearing him sigh on the other end. "I know you're attending the wedding, so I wanted to inform you that I'll need your assistance."

"I thought you had Eduardo under control," Nate remarked, prompting a nod from me.

"Do you really believe he'd let his daughter's wedding proceed without a hitch?" I questioned.

 "Vittoria is his beloved child. He'd rather do something unthinkable than ruin her special day. Besides, given everything that transpired with Kassian, I'm certain we'll have to be cautious on more than one occasion," Nate explained, evoking the return of vivid memories. Nightmares still plagued me each night, forcing me to stick to a four to five-hour sleep schedule.

However, these dreams were no longer solely focused on me.

"What do you need me to help you with?" Nate asked.

"Something has happened with Gio, and I suspect my dear father may be involved," I confessed, revealing my suspicions. After the disastrous wedding three years ago, Giovanni was the first to openly leave for some time. He told everyone he would be somewhere in the UK, but after months on end, without a single word from him, his father tried to track him down.

He had been in Sydney for two months before returning to Rome. Throughout his absence, he never bothered to inform me about his whereabouts. Only recently, after my elopement, did he start re-engaging with the business.

"Do you really think he would stoop so low? He knows Gio wouldn't utter a word about anything concerning you," Nate argued before I could interject. "You're speculating here. Don't dwell on such scenarios. Give Gio a call and talk to him. Don't lose your mind over it."

"When will you be here?" I inquired.

"Give it about a week or so. I'll see what I can do when I arrive," he sighed, and I nodded in acknowledgement.

"Thank you." I sensed he wanted to wrap up the conversation, but he remained silent, waiting for me to say anything else.

I wrestled with the temptation to ask about what truly interested me beyond mere words, but I chose against it. I couldn't pretend everything was fine and let her actions go unquestioned.