Chapter twenty-two

I moved around in bed as the light from the windows shone right at my face

I moved around in bed as the light from the windows shone right at my face. Squinting my eyes, I hid my face with the duvet and was immediately hit with the scent of vanilla and rosewood. I was confused about why I was sensing Nicolas but the memories from the night before made me realise what I had experienced.

I gently sat up and looked around the room. It looked clean as always but I could see the clothes I had worn yesterday laying on the ground as well as some of Nicolas's clothes. I covered my chest with the duvet as I looked for my phone and then once I grabbed it, I checked the time. The number of missed calls and texts from Nathanial frightened me.

Last night, I had told Nate I would be in the city and would immediately text him when I was back. With how everything played out, I completely forgot about that. I knew he would be upset and mad with me but perhaps he'll be pleased that I finally managed to tell Nicolas what he needed to know.

I quickly got out of bed and grabbed the clothes I had on yesterday before quickly putting them on and heading into the bathroom. It was convenient that I knew his apartment pretty well, thus, I was able to find all of the extra toothbrushes and other products I might need without looking for Nicolas.

After I was done, I left the bathroom and collected my heels which had come off quickly last night, and left his bedroom with my things in hand. I almost felt like I was doing the shameful walk after a hookup. I made my way downstairs and before I could comprehend what happened, I heard an angry voice from the entrance.

"Where is she?" It wasn't difficult to make out that it was Nate who had barged into the apartment and once he was in the living room, he saw me by the stairs. Nicolas appeared behind him soon after that and smiled towards me. He looked far better than me as he was fully dressed in black pants and a black dress shirt. His face was cleanly shaven and he looked fresh out of the shower. It was almost like a brand-new man was standing in front of me.

Meanwhile, I was in my old clothes, looking like I'd had the roughest night possible. And I didn't mean sexually.

"You care to explain?" He asked before I set my heels on the couch and looked at Nate, who looked like Nico's twin from the way they both dressed.

"I forgot to text you. I apologise. I had a rough night and it slipped my mind," I said as I sat down and saw Nicolas walk towards the kitchen.

"You had a fucking rough night?" Nate raised his voice.

"Hey! Lower that goddamn voice of yours," I heard Nicolas yell from the side.

"I was worried sick about you," I looked down at my lap and pinched the bridge of my nose. "Do you know how much I hate sniffing for you like a fucking dog?"

"Then don't!" I bit back. "I know I should've told you but you have my location. I know you do and you don't have to lie to me about it. It's done now, so can we just move on?" Nico was at my side the next moment, a glass with water in one hand and a small white pill in the other. I looked up at him and smiled.