Chapter eleven

I found myself grappling with the decision to stay here any longer

I found myself grappling with the decision to stay here any longer. The truth was, deep down, I had already sensed it, but for some inexplicable reason, I found myself on the verge of packing my bags.

Sitting side by side on my bed, Nate and I gazed out the window, watching raindrops cascade down the glass. It was as if nature itself mirrored the turmoil I felt inside, yet it also evoked a sense of unease, for nights like these had a knack for resurfacing painful memories.

"We should've done this in a different way," I muttered, breaking the long-lasting silence.

"Tell him during the ball," Nate proposed. "The last thing the man will want is to cause a scene when his daughter's life could be in danger," those words hit me like a ton of bricks. It was the motherly love that took its toll here. "I know you don't want to hear that but it'll be fine, Bri."

"I don't know how long I'll last here," I said, making Nate look over at me. "And I know how much you hate hearing that," I heard him chuckle as we both drifted into silence again.

I enjoyed Nathanial's company more than I liked to admit. He was indeed a safe space for me especially while being here. I tilted my head towards him and rested it against his shoulder.

"I wish she was here," I whispered, feeling my eyes begin to tear up. Oh, how things would be different if Ada was still here. I could just imagine how different my entire life would've been if she was still alive and well. Evara would have the best aunt, despite having the best people around her.

Ada loved children and I knew that one of her biggest dreams was to have a family eventually. Now, all of that was just a dream, left to rot under the ground.

"She would've loved Eva," Nate said, making me smile. "I can only imagine," he added before I straightened up and wiped the tears that had fallen off my cheeks. "She would've wanted for you to do the right thing, Brielle," I turned my head to face Nate. His eyes sparkled from pure moonlight on the outside. "She would've told you to tell him just as I am telling you right now-"

"And maybe I would've never left this hell house in the first place and Nico would've found out the same time I did," I interrupted. "She would still be happy and would have a family one day. Now, she's rotting six feet under the fucking ground, Nate. All because of the family she married into."

"She loved Kassian. And the family you're speaking of also lost their son. I don't want to speak for all of them since not all grieved him, but most did," Nate said.

"Did any of them find anything out about the killers?"

"Brielle-"

"Did they?" I demanded.

"No," he answered. "But that shouldn't matter right now because there are even bigger problems," I frowned but before I could say anything, he continued. "Brielle, what happened was unfortunate and truly devastating but some have reason to suspect that some issues currently circulating in the family have something to do with the incident."