Chapter thirty-four

"It was just a difficult night," I said before I sipped my latte

"It was just a difficult night," I said before I sipped my latte. I was with Oliver and Evara in a small coffee shop downtown. After everything that happened yesterday, I was almost certain I would find it hard to get out of bed, but I guess I was wrong. Nicolas was accommodating and supportive, making dealing with my emotions so much easier.

"You don't have to tell me everything," he responded as I gently re-tied one of Eva's ponytails. She sat on my lap calmly as she looked around and observed the people in the coffee shop. "All that matters is that you're okay," I smiled at him.

"Thank you for everything, Oliver. Truly," he smiled and nodded once.

"No need. I'm more than happy to help."

A few months after we met, he did ask me if there would be any possibility for us to date. It came as a surprise since we began our relationship with clear boundaries, however, I couldn't blame him for something that was out of his control.

I told him it was more likely that an asteroid as big as the one that wiped out the dinosaurs would hit tomorrow morning than the two of us dating. Not that I was trying to hurt him, but I knew my heart could not take another man, and frankly, no other man could ever compare.

Since then, we'd scratched that idea and moved on to be good friends.

"I guess now that your boyfriend is back, you won't need my help much," I smiled before showing him the shining ring on my finger.

"Fiancé, not boyfriend," he smiled awkwardly and nodded as his eyes dipped down to the ring on my finger.

"Oh," something like confusion crossed me. He managed to smile at me before taking a sip of his coffee. I put my hand on Evara's leg as she cared more about everything else happening around us. Once she noticed my ring, she began to touch it with her small fingers. "That's right."

"Is everything alright?" I asked just as his phone began to ring.

"Excuse me, I have to take this," I nodded as he rose to his feet and disappeared near the bathrooms. I looked down at my daughter as she pulled my hand up to look at the diamonds. She loved them ever since I showed the ring to her. I guess my daughter liked sparkling gems. I placed a kiss on her head before her little voice surprised me.

"Papa," I smiled and placed another kiss on her head.

"Your dad is not here, fiore," she looked up at me with her big green eyes and pointed at someone. I looked up and frowned once I saw Nico approaching us with a smile.

"Papa," he smiled at Evara and after setting his cup of coffee on the table, grabbed Evara in his hands and lifted her up in the air.

"Ciao, piccola fiore," he kissed her cheek and held her in his arm. Her small hands touched his cheek before she gently slapped him, making me laugh. "You are your mother's child," he looked down at me and leaned closer to kiss me. "Hi," I smiled.