Chapter thirty-two

"I think you're overreacting," Nathanial said as we sat down on a couch in his mother's backyard

"I think you're overreacting," Nathanial said as we sat down on a couch in his mother's backyard. "Oliver is a good guy. I've tested him and had enough time to see if he's decent or not," I took a sip of whiskey as I watched the sun slowly setting in the far.

"I don't know. The entire timeline is very strange," I suggested. "I mean, three years ago, he leaves Marion and then comes here even though the merge hadn't happened yet."

"Nicolas, you'll drive yourself mad if you keep getting paranoid like this," he told me. "Brielle is fine and so is Eva. And if something does occur, you're now together. You're more than capable of taking care of her," he assured me, making something in my stomach turn. I didn't like the sound of that no matter how much he was trying to reassure me.

"I just got them back. I don't want to lose them," I took another sip.

"You won't. Just get whatever is going on with Eduardo under control. That is the one thing that can indefinitely hurt all three of you."

I had to go back to Italy as quickly as I could and after a few days in the States, Vittoria along with Gio left for Sydney where they would spend some time together. The last thing they needed was to wind up in another family disruption. Mattia was also gone, back with his wife in Milan. My mother stayed behind and it was for the best.

After all, Natalia was more than welcoming towards my mother and was delighted to have her stay in her home. I felt much more at ease, knowing she was happy and not under the wrath of my father. Especially when he can get furious with anything that I do without his permission.

"Can I use one of your offices tonight?" I glanced at Nate, who looked at me with a frown.

"Sure, but why would you want to spend an evening there when you can be with your fiancé and daughter?"

"It's not that I don't want to be with them, I have to finish up the draft for the documents, Nate. I want them ready for when I go back," I explained. "I won't take long."

"Fine. Your office is always ready," I thanked him and downed the rest of my drink. I did have an office at the Matrix because I used to visit Nathanial relatively often. Now, I had other things on my mind and thus couldn't be here so much.

Twenty minutes later, I found myself in that office, looking over the beautiful city skyline. I'd missed New York for its skyscrapers but other than that, my home across the ocean was far better.

I was completely alone apart from a few other night owls here and two security guards by the elevator. The place was engulfed in darkness, except for the desk lamp on my desk. My office was right next to Nate's but wasn't occupied very often. It reminded me of my space back in my office in Italy but was slightly smaller and definitely had the best nighttime view.

Sitting down on the desk chair, I powered up the computer and logged in, going through multiple security walls to access my documents. I pulled up my copy of Eduardo's terms and conditions for the succession and read through it carefully a millionth time.