Chapter twenty-four

We sat in the car outside Natalia's house

We sat in the car outside Natalia's house. It had been over ten minutes since we came here but we had to wait for some time as Natalia had taken Evara out on a walk.

"Is your sister home?" I asked before Nate shook his head.

"She's on a work trip. But she'll be back before we come home," I looked through the passenger side window and felt my heart rate quicken as the minutes passed. "You have nothing to worry about, Nico. She's too young to be upset about now seeing her father," I smiled and rested my head against the seat. "And besides, she likes almost everyone she meets. She's the opposite of you in that sense."

"I hope she takes on after Bri. I'm not the best person-"

"Would you stop this? She's a perfect mix of both of you. The actual you that would be with us if your own father hadn't destroyed him," my hand balled into a fist as I tried to swallow the pain the memories brought back. I guess I never thought that I would actually want a child that wasn't meant entirely to continue my bloodline. I was actually happy that she was alive and that Brielle was the mother because I strongly believed that no other woman would be as perfect of a mother to our daughter as she was.

"Do you have the keys?"

"You want to go inside?" I nodded.

"Maybe it's best if the people around don't this meeting of sorts. I'm just thinking about safety," Nate took out his phone and keys before opening his door. I climbed out of the car and followed him to the entrance before he led me inside the cosy home that he grew up in. And Brielle for that matter.

We walked into a living room which was decorated with light colours and had everything from light beige couches, tables, various plants for decor and a fireplace, above which was a TV. In addition to that, there were many picture frames which displayed photos of young Nate and Olessia, their father, family photos and then some of Marie, standing next to Natalie as well as photos of Brielle and Ada.

I smiled once I saw a picture frame of Evara on her mother's lap while she ate ice cream from a cone. Brielle held her on her lap while she looked down at her, smiling and wearing a pair of sunglasses.

"I hate that I missed all of this," I said before I turned to see Nate sitting on the couch.

"You missed all of it for your own daughter's sake. And she still hasn't called anyone her dad, so you have that moment all for yourself," I smiled.

"She really hasn't?" Nate shook his head before I looked back at the photo, I'd been looking at earlier.

"Bri never called anyone her father in front of her and when she referred to any of us, she used words like 'uncle' or 'aunty'. I guess the word 'dad' never really came to her vocabulary," Nathaniel explained. "And FYI, I've been teaching her Italian," my eyes widened before I turned to face him. "I owed you that much."

"She can speak Italian?"

"Not as well as English for now but she can tell me what she wants. Sometimes even greets me in Italian," his words brought a smile to my face.