Chapter twelve

I stepped into the estate, the myriad of people making me feel nauseous

I stepped into the estate, the myriad of people making me feel nauseous. I had to deal with it, though, as I was here for my sister rather than my own enjoyment.

Making my way through the foyer, I headed towards the emerald lounge where Mattia and Gio had already made themselves comfortable. I shook Giovanni's hand before moving on to greet my other friend.

"I thought you'd be late," Matt said as he sat back down and grabbed the laptop to place it on his lap. He was dressed in an Oxford blue suit with a matching blue bowtie and then a white dress shirt underneath the jacket. His dark hair had been fixed with some gel and he wore black-rimmed glasses which he wore only if he had to do an immense amount of work in front of a computer screen.

"Oh, come on, Matt, his beloved is coming all dolled up. Obviously, he's going to be early," I shot my eyes towards Gio, who smiled as he popped a green grape in his mouth. "Come on, if you're desperate enough, you'll be crawling to her," he made his way to the opposite couch that Matt sat in and he should be glad he did so because I was an atom away from shoving my fist in his precious face.

He was dressed in his usual black tuxedo but this time, opted for a black shirt underneath and chose not to wear a bowtie.

"This entire day is going to be hell, so can you two please not make it harder?" I practically demanded as I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Like your dick is-"

"One more fucking word and I will throw you out of here," I raised my voice at Gio. The man just smiled in his natural habitat and continued eating grapes from a small bowl he must've snatched from the kitchen.

"How about we focus on making sure this evening goes without a hitch?" Matt suggested as I crossed my arms over my chest and looked towards him.

"Any news on Amando?" I asked.

"Not by the looks of it. I'm just wondering if anyone else knows that will be here."

"How did he die?" Gio asked with a grape in his mouth.

"The lawyer said he died in his sleep. And he has some reason to suspect that someone did kill him," I informed Gio, who looked slightly shocked.

"Surely his father wouldn't kill him," he said, making me nod.

"But someone who thought he might have valuable information might have," I added. Matt turned his head towards me as he pinched his brows. "Like my father." Gio chuckled as Matt looked back at his computer screen.

"I doubt it. Your father has enough on his plate as it is."

"Yet he might have found out about the fact that I know of his games," I began to pace in the room and carefully listened for any sound that could disturb our conversation from the outside. I was glad that the rush on the outside was substantial enough to cover our own conversation and enough to shield us from anyone who might be keen on prying.