CHAPTER 13

"Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions." - Dalai Lama

Isla Isabelle POV

After we had finished enjoying the view from the window, Papa gently lifted me into his arms once again and carried me to his office. He carefully set me down on the soft couch, making sure I was comfortable. 

To keep me entertained, he handed me some paper and coloring materials, knowing how much I loved to express my creativity.

As I happily occupied myself with drawing and coloring, Papa settled down at his desk, engrossed in his work. The air in the office was filled with the faint hum of productivity and the occasional sound of typing. 

Even though he was busy, Papa's presence reassured me, providing a sense of security and comfort.

As time went on, my attention waned, and boredom crept in. Restless, I decided to leave the couch and make my way towards Papa's desk. However, I barely made it past the table before mustering up the courage to speak.

"P-papa, I'm h-hungry. C-can w-we e-eat?" I asked, a tinge of worry lacing my voice. I hoped he wouldn't be mad at me for interrupting his work.

"Love, where are you?" Papa's voice echoed through the room, laced with confusion. I raised my hand, trying to catch his attention from behind the desk. 

However, my hiding spot only seemed to amuse him, and he chuckled softly before getting up from his seat to come and find me. With gentle steps, he made his way around the table, and with a warm smile, he scooped me up into his arms.

As Papa held me close, he reached for the phone on his desk, a determined look in his eyes. He dialed a number and spoke briskly into the receiver, "Bring me enough food for four, and make it quick." The coldness in his tone surprised me momentarily, as it was rare to hear Papa speak in such a serious manner. However, I trusted that he had his reasons, and I held onto his comforting presence.

While we waited for the food to arrive, Papa and I engaged in playful activities, creating our own little world within the office. Laughter filled the room as we shared moments of joy and connection, momentarily forgetting about the outside world and its worries.

Suddenly, a knock on the door interrupted our playful escapades, causing me to jump and feel a pang of fear. Papa's reassuring presence, however, grounded me once again. He gently placed me down and walked towards the door, his steps confident and purposeful.

As we eagerly awaited the arrival of our food, a young girl entered the office, carrying a bag filled with delicious treats. She approached Papa confidently, offering a polite greeting. 

"Sir, here's your food," she said, her voice filled with a professional tone. With a nod of gratitude, Papa acknowledged her and she placed the bag on the table, ensuring everything was in order before excusing herself and leaving the room.

The aroma of the freshly delivered food filled the air, teasing our senses and igniting our appetites. Papa, ever the composed figure, remained focused on his tasks at hand. But it was evident that he had something planned as he spoke into the phone, his voice carrying a tone of authority.

"Son, come to my office and bring Salvatore with you," Papa's words resonated through the receiver. I could sense the anticipation building within me, realizing that my older siblings, Bubba and Gelo, were about to join us in Papa's office.

As I eagerly awaited the arrival of Bubba and Gelo, the door swung open without warning, revealing their familiar faces. Overwhelmed with excitement, I couldn't contain myself and leaped towards them, my heart brimming with joy. The room was instantly filled with their comforting presence.