CHAPTER 16

"It's okay to not be okay. It's okay to ask for help. It's okay to take time for yourself. Your mental health matters." - Unknown

Piero Antonio POV

After comforting Belle, I brought her with me to my office, carefully placing her on the couch to ensure she could rest comfortably. I watched over her, hoping that her fever would not worsen due to the distressing nightmare she had endured.

As I continued with my mafia work, my phone suddenly began to ring, indicating an incoming call from my younger brother Lorenzo. He was a year younger than me, and we shared a close bond. We also had another brother named Benjamin, who was the same age as Lorenzo. Lorenzo had three sons, while Benjamin had four.

I swiftly picked up the phone, greeted by Lorenzo's familiar voice. "Hey, brother. How's the business," He asked. 

"Hey, I wanted to give you an update on the situation. We've encountered a slight problem with the money from the shipment, but rest assured, it's already under investigation. On top of that, I suspect there might be a mole within our ranks," I informed him, my tone filled with concern.

He listened attentively, his voice calm yet determined as he replied, "Thanks for letting me know. I'll drop by tomorrow morning. I have a meeting to attend, but I also want to meet with Fabiano. There's something important I need to discuss with him regarding the business."

"Alright, just be mindful not to disturb my son too much. I promise you, if you make a mockery of them, they won't hesitate to get rid of you," I warned him sternly, recalling the chaotic episode the last time he visited our house. 

Memories of his reckless behavior, trashing everyone's rooms and fleeing the country, flashed through my mind. They now reside in France, where they run family's mafia business.

"Copy that, brother. See you there. I'll bring Caleb with me as well," he responded, and we ended the call. As I hung up, I noticed Belle stirring in her sleep. 

I walked over to her and sat on the edge of the bed, checking on her. As her eyes fluttered open, she immediately wrapped her arms around me, still half-asleep.

"Hi, vita mia. How's your day?" I asked, gently stroking her hair.

"Gio made me drink yucky medicine again, papa," she complained, scrunching her nose in distaste.

"You need it, love. It will make you feel better," I reassured her, understanding her dislike for medication. "Let's go and get you some food for that tummy of yours."

Her face brightened, and she nodded happily. We made our way downstairs to the kitchen, where I settled her into her chair. I started cooking a nutritious meal of beef and vegetables for her, ensuring it would be gentle on her stomach. 

As the aroma filled the air, I prepared something for myself as well, making sure we both had a satisfying meal.

As we sat at the table, I watched Belle dig into her food with enthusiasm. Her appetite was a good sign, indicating that she was on the path to recovery. 

I couldn't help but feel grateful for moments like these, cherishing the simple joy of sharing a meal with my daughter.

As we settled down to eat, I noticed my son, Alessandro, entering the dining hall and promptly taking his seat. He wasted no time in making his request known.

"We also want to eat, Dad. Cook something for us," Alessandro demanded, his tone laced with entitlement.

I raised an eyebrow, amusement and exasperation mingling in my expression. "Cook something for yourself, son. You're old enough to handle it."