9

My head was pounding. Everything was loud. It was all too much. My body was heavy as I dragged myself into the elevator from the parking garage. The sun peeked through the clouds, I push my sunglasses back as I squint at the light.

The morning was unusually slow. There was no new emails from him, no calls, so I worked on his list. I had time to add to the schedules for the next two weeks. I spent half an hour looking for his 'special' shampoo.

The office turned crazy by the time eleven rolled around. Phones rang and so did mine. The traffic down to the printer was heavy, especially when I had to go grab some papers. I stuck my headphones in and typed an email, taking a few seconds to notice the man standing in front of my desk.

I pulled my AirPod out, hearing his sigh. "I'm sorry, sir. What were you saying?"

"Matt won't be in for a while. I guess he's taking a late day, and only thought to let me know" he mumbled and shook his head. "Do you have things to do?"

"Yes. He left a list for me, I'll be busy until he comes in"

"Good. Just..work on that until he gets here" he said, looking down as he phone rang in his pocket. He huffed and took it out to answer it. "Peter, speaking" he groaned, walking away. "What do you mean you can't find him? He has court in an hour! This is on you, not me"

~

The time was now 12:04. I look up to find Mr Sturniolo walking through the office slowly, wearing a dark pair of sunglasses. I'm about to look down so I'm not staring when he pushes the glasses on to his head, meeting my eyes. I wish I could look away, but it's already hurt.

"Good morning, Mr Sturniolo. Well, afternoon, I guess" I said, forcing a smile.

"Morning" he said, softly. I call that progress, but it felt like twenty steps backwards after last night.

I looked away, back to my computer, to finish up the email and send it off. I look between the computer and his figure, watching him go around the corner and disappear. How is he the same Matt I spent last night with? That's because he's not. After I sent the email, I stood up to take a quick bathroom break.

I turn the corner back to the office with damp hands because of the crap hand dryer. I froze when I saw Matt standing at my desk, with a coffee in his hand. I rushed over, wishing I prepared for this in the bathroom.

"Hey" I said, approaching him.

"Afternoon, how's that list coming along?" He asked, turning to face me. I went to walk around my desk, but something stops me. I found myself standing before him, feeling everyone's stares.

"Fine. I sent Mr Bradshaw an email setting up a consultation just now. As for the rest, I'm nearly finished. How are you?"

"Alright, thanks. Fighting a headache. How about you?" He asked. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't feel more awkward. He never asks how I am. Well, not since a week ago or however long it's been since the funeral. Last night became harder not to think about, but I nipped it in the bud.

He turned and looked over his shoulder, spotting the stares of employees in the lobby. "Don't you all have work to do?" He asked, earning a few nods. They walked away, not quick enough.

He turned back to me and I got nervous. "You didn't answer my question" he mumbled, furrowing his eyebrow.

"Oh, I'm okay..thank you"

"Tired?" He asked and I rubbed my eyes, wondering when I'll be able to tell him the truth, but I'm not sure I could do that again.

"Yeah, I'm sorry"