19

I wrapped my arms around him, rubbing circles on to his back because it's the best I could reach. It's the best I could do.

His pained breathing hit the side of my neck fast and tears accompany them. I wish I knew what to do for him, I wish I knew what the right words were. How am I supposed to fix this when I don't know what I'm fixing?

My heart pounded in my chest when he held on to my shirt tighter. His hiccups came back and they made me feel worse. I can't help the words that pop into my head. Then there's his head that's tucked into my neck.

"Who was that, Matt? Is everything okay?" Two seconds later, I was mentally cursing myself when I realised I asked the one question you don't ask when someone is upset. No matter what, nobody would answer it honestly.

When he pulled away from me, stepping away to the window with his back to me. It feels like when you rip a bandaid off scared and fast, the pain sudden and only for a second, but it didn't make it any better. "Matt?" He stood there and pretended he didn't hear me.

"Leave"

"What?" I gasped, my head nearly spinning from how fast I got pulled off my feet.

"Get out of here" he repeated, his voice was cold.

"Matt-"

"I don't want you, Y/N, so get out!" He yelled, his voice echoing off the walls. "Go!"

I gulped and felt the warmth go to my cheeks. With my fists clenched, I made my decision. It's not soon enough, because he makes one too, and was turning around. His eyes melt into sadness when he meets mine. I saw a glimpse of his face before I pulled the door open. I heard him call my name as I walked down the hall, but I kept going to my desk. I picked up my laptop and my brown file, tucking them under my arm and flew out of the room.

After a few minutes, I was sitting in the front seat of my car. I slammed the door and kicked off my heels. Opening my laptop, I opened the checklist and ticked off some things.

As I opened a new document, I reached into my glove box until I found the plastic bag. With the cookie melting on my tongue, I typed up the notes that were sitting beside me. The quicker I typed, the quicker I could go home.

~

I crinkled the plastic bag up and tossed it to the side, but my attention was taken away with a buzzing sound. With a hesitation in my movements, I slowly turned back to my laptop and was relieved it was only an email from a client and not Matt. As I read the words, another sound distracted me.

It happened again and I realised it was a car unlocking. My heart stopped pounding when a head with blonde hair appeared outside of my window. As he stopped at his backseat, his eyes go to me. "Hey, looks like you found my secret hiding place" Luke smiled, almost yelling as I rolled the window down.

"No, I think you found my secret spot" I say with a wink and he laughed

~

The only thing taking my mind off Matt shutting me off was the Halloween event and picking out Matt's costume. I realised, losing wouldn't be all that bad, but I'd be winning. If I could win twice in a row, and get to attend the event with Matt. He said he needed a date and, what's her face, couldn't go, so what could I lose?

It was too hard to resist, the typical Cinderella and Prince duo. The gown and the suit, because why not? What girl hadn't dreamt of being in her shoes while watching a movie, getting to do a fancy dress for a night with Charming? Wasn't that was it was for me?

I couldn't contain myself, I could tell my excitement as I knocked on his door. I pushed the door open softly, looking at him as he looked down at notepad. I blinked and he was looking up at me, with the phone against his ear, holding up his finger. I quietly shut the door behind me and walked into the room.