27

Matt's POV

"I don't know" she replied, pulling at my heart. I sighed and my head fell into my hands. "My Dad.." Y/N continued, but her words collapsed into tears.

I almost tell her that I know, but I didn't. I didn't want her to get angry at Luke. And if I'm honest, our secret elevator meetings were the highlight of my week. Her tears were all I could hear and I really wanted to take them away.

"He has cancer, Matt" She said, pulling at my heart again.

"I'm so sorry, Y/N. Are you okay?"

"No, why would I be? How could I be?" She asked, quickly.

"Y/N...have you been drinking?" I asked and she groaned.

"I don't want to hear it. I'm a grown woman, I can drink if I want and-" She argued. I was caught off guard by the confrontation and it only made me feel worse.

"That's not what I meant. I just..." I said, trying to find the right words. "Are you at a bar? I just wanna know if you're safe. I can leave and give you a ride home, if you want" I finished, not sure of how she'd take it.

She stayed quiet, making my head buzz.

What if she gets the idea to drive herself home?

What if some guy drives her home and she can't defend herself?

What if she walks home in the rain?

What if-

"No, I'm at home in bed, Matt. I'm not stupid" she slurred, showing me a side to her I've never seen before. We had drinks together before- but I'd never seen her drunk.

"I don't think you are, bug" I said, the nickname falling from my lips. "I'm really sorry about your Dad. Do you know how bad it is?"

"No, just that he's stage 2, or something" she answered. "It's the prostrate. You know that thing that's..uh..where is it again?"

"I know where it is. I have one of them" I finished for her and she laughed. A sound I missed for so long. I missed it more than I thought.

"Oh yeah. I forgot about that"

Her laugh faded and mine followed. She didn't call to laugh at my jokes, or to catch up on each others lives. No, not really.

"He'd been having pains. So he can't eat or use the toilet. He told me when we were there and he looked bad" she said, her voice breaking. I felt my heart shudder in pain. "I just don't know how I'm going to do this. I want to help him and take care of him, but I'm three hours away and..I don't know how to do this"

"There's no set rules, honey. No guidelines for how to handle it. You just gotta do your best and love him..I'm sorry"

"You're sorry?" She laughed and I furrowed my eyebrows. "There's a first"

I listen to her laugh, and I savour it. But I was confused and offended. It stopped when I heard her sniffle. "I'm the one who should be sorry" she said with tears in her voice. "You're just trying to help and I'm being mean like I always am. I don't know why I called you"

"It's okay. You're going through a lot, and...I appreciate you calling. I just hope I'm helping" I said, dropping my hand in defeat.

"But I am, Matt! I'm mean, I make no sense and I'm just pouring on to you. I don't know who else to call, I'm trying to be strong for Robert and not worry Holly" Y/N said, dissolving into sobs. I bit my lip as she cried and cried. "I don't want to lose my dad after I already lost you"

The line grows silent, but I know she's there because I can hear her breathing. And I know she's still crying because I can hear her whimpers. Even if she is drunk.