13

I tapped my nails against the desk and stared at my computer screen. I looked at the 'delivered' under my message, waiting for it to show 'read' My email dinged and I clicked on it, groaning when I saw an email from a new client. Documents for Matt's case and evidence, blah blah. I forwarded it to Matt and stood up, closing down my laptop. Time for my break.

With a stomach full of food and my soda, I went back out to my desk. When my phone buzzed, I turned the corner and was surprised to find his door open. Not just that, but loud music coming out of there too.

"Is that loud enough?" I yelled, as he had his head down, writing something in his journal. I pushed the funny feeling I had away and waited for him to respond. "Matt, seriously?"

He looked up, looking surprised. It took him a second to realise and he paused the music. I wanted to laugh, but I didn't.

"It took you long enough" I huffed and sat down on one of the chairs.

"What did?" He replied, continuing his writing. It only made me wonder what he was writing about.

"For you to turn the music down. You didn't tell me how court went"

"It was fine" he mumbled and the room became silent.

"Are you writing a hate list? Should I be concerned about being on it?" I joked and he looked up to roll his eyes.

"That's a good one, Y/N. You should be a comedian" he hummed, pausing his writing. He bit his lip, something I noticed he did a log lately.

"I forwarded you the email from Tom, he put a lot there"

"I saw" he said, looking down at his page.

"You're really exciting today"

"Sorry, I'm trying to figure out plans for a party I'm helping Chloe with"

"Oh" I gulped, looking down at my ring. "Wait, you're planning it?"

"I'm planning it with her. I was hoping you could help me with it. It's a Halloween party, food, costumes, decorations, that kinda thing. It's on Halloween night and Chloe wants to have a drive in movie in the back garden"

"But the office party is on that night?"

"So? it's not like I ever go. The office parties are boring and the alcohol isn't any good" he said.

"But, I have to go to it. It can't be that bad, can it? I mean it's free food" I lied, embarrassed to be invited to a Halloween party, or maybe I'll go to get drunk with Luke.

"I didn't say you were invited to Chloe's party, Y/N, I just wanted you to plan it with me since you're good at that stuff" he said and when he looked up, I looked away. "I don't like doing this shit, I'm not good at it"

"Then, why are you doing it? You have a big case to work on, there's a meeting this week- that you have to go to and the college appearance next week" I told him and he shook his head, covering his face with his hands.

"Because, Y/N, she's my girlfriend. I can't say no to her, can I?" He groaned, dropping his hand and looking at me. I tried to ignore his words, but it didn't go down well.

"God, I just asked. Why are you bringing it up, anyway if you're going to get mad when I ask questions?" I said, standing up.

"I'm sorry, don't go. I spent the morning in court with them and.."

"And what, Matt?" I asked, looking over my shoulder at him.

"I don't know, I just want to spend time with somebody I actually like" he said, with a sad puppy dog pout. I opened my mouth to speak, when there was a small knock on the door. I'm glad he couldn't see my face at the voice of his girlfriend.