12

I nearly jumped out of my seat when the phone rang. At first, I didn't know who's phone it was and I didn't really care. When it kept ringing, I realised it was mine. I groaned and answered it with as much cheer as possible.

"We're still waiting" a gruff voice said.

"I know, I'm sorry. But he's in a mood today and I don't want to make it worse"

"He'll only listen to you. Tell him to get his ass down here. These guys don't like waiting" Peter said and I looked down the hallway.

"What makes you think he'll listen to me? I'm his assistant"

"He got himself in a good spot there, being his own boss. I don't know, Y/N. I can't explain it, but he listens to you, okay?" He said and I keep my eyes on his office door.

"Fine, I'll try. You know how he is"

"Just tell him this will make or break his career"

"That's what you told me to say last time"

"It's starting to mean more when he's late to these meetings" he retorts and I could hear him shake his head on the other end of the phone.

"I'll try talk sense into him"

"Good luck" he said and slammed down the phone. After rubbing down my hair, I pushed away from the desk to leave.

This should be fun. I hadn't spoken to him since Friday. I wasn't in the mood for an argument with him about whatever was wrong with him now.

I knocked on his door, waiting a few seconds like always, but there's nothing. Usually, he would've responded by now or opened it. I knocked again and nothing. I sighed and pulled down the handle, opening the door to find him drinking a beer.

He looked over at me and looked back down at his laptop. I walked towards the chair in front of his desk and thought about sitting down, but when I looked at him, I realised I might have missed him.

Not how loud he got when he yelled, when he's angry. I didn't miss his mood swings. And what I haven't missed at all, was how I couldn't stick around when he had the beer opened on his desk because it changed him.

"I thought you didn't drink"  I commented, sitting down on the arm of the chair, knowing he wouldn't care.

"It's all that was left in my fridge, because of you"

"Yeah, those are mine" I exclaimed, slapping my thigh. His mouth twitched and I hoped he would at least smile.

"I was the one who bought them for you. But they didn't have a good hiding spot, did they?"

I groaned and he laughed, looking back at his computer screen.

"You know you're supposed to be at that meeting, Matt"

He sighed and licked his lips. "You know, I thought you came by to say hello. It'd be nice, wouldn't it?" He said, not raising his voice.

"Matt-"

"What's the point? I sit there, listening to old guys talk about money and this and that. It doesn't make sense to me, why should I go?" He cut me off, using his hands to talk.

I opened my mouth again, but I should've known I wouldn't get far with his love of cutting me off. "I know that Peter sent you in to get me to go to that meeting, but I'm not going. I don't see the point"

"Oh, so does the fact your name is on half of this building not matter, Matt?"

"I don't see why Jason can't give me a summary after about it" he argued, using his hands to talk. As always, he looked back to his laptop and bit his lip.