44

Matt's POV

His breaths fall one after the other, and I find my own watching her. Staring into her eyes sent shivers through my body, making me wonder again if today was real.

"You need to rest, it's three in the morning" I whispered, moving the strand of hair out of her forehead.

"Okay. You sleep too...Matt" she yawned, her forehead creasing.

"I will, I'm not going anywhere I promise"

"I know.." she trailed off, closing her eyes. I smiled and ran my hand through her hair. I leaned in and kissed the tip of her nose.

"Goodnight"

"Night" she said softly, and I felt relief wash over me as her features relax. In the glow of the machines, I find myself missing the pink in her cheeks.

Her breaths began to slow, and her chest rising was a sight for sore eyes. I didn't know how much I could miss a sight until this, her body back to life and her free of pain.

I sat there for the next few minutes admiring her, wondering how it took me all these years to come across a sight like this. A tear fell to my cheek and I wiped it away, standing up. Her breaths steady me as I kiss her forehead, letting them linger for a few minutes more.

"I love you, Y/N"

I sniffled and brushed away the tear that fell on her forehead. I cleared my throat and lay down in the same position as before. I closed my eyes, but stirred when she moved beside me.

"I love you, too....Matt" she said out loud. I smiled and laced my hand with hers as I drift off to sleep.

~

Flying upwards, I rub my eyes and lick my dry lips.

"What's wrong?" I croaked, squinting one eye open to find her laying in front of me. "Are you okay?" I leaned forward in my seat, looking at her for any sign of pain. I hate that's what I immediately resort to.

"I'm fine..but you can't be sleeping like that. Sleep on the couch" she yawned, looking at the couch against the opposite wall.

"I'm okay here, Y/N. I want to be close to you" I mumbled, suddenly aware of my lack of filter at 6am. I lifted up my wrist, I had notifications of texts and missed calls, but I ignored them.

"Matt, please" she begged, and with the sleep in her voice, I lost the argument.

"As you wish" I said, standing to my feet.

"Good" she said, blinking slowly.

"Okay?" I asked, leaving her with one more kiss, rubbing her arm.

"Yeah. Go to sleep" she gave me a small smile and I nodded. I fell back into dreamless rest the second my head hit the pillow. "Sweet dreams" she mumbled, the very last thing I hear.

~

I don't wake up slow, like most mornings. Instead, I wake up fast and alarmed. My senses are are clouded at first, but then the sounds come back to me.

I see her first, and then I smiled. I watch her for a bit- the way her eyes follow the TV on the wall, scratching her head.

"Morning"

"Morning" she rasped, waving at me.

Sitting up, I realised I took my shirt off last night. I walked over to her with the blanket over my shoulders, leaning down to cover her face in kisses. I longed to hear her laugh . I know that it's going to take a while to get back to herself.