Flashbacks Chapter #13

"That should do it," Mortem smiled at Lydia, "one disconnected life force."

"Thank you Lord Mortem," Lydia smiled slightly, "did you remove the trace as well?"

"Of course Mistress," Mortem swore, "I would never disobey an order from you."

"Bye then," Lydia hugged Mortem, "see you another time."

"I will never get over seeing you hug the personification of Death itself," Regulus's eyes were wide, "and this whole thing is so crazy."

"Same future Regulus," Andromeda shook her head, "I most definitely agree."

"You're taking this better than Benjy," Lydia laughed loudly, "he fainted on the spot when I told him."

"Honestly," Kingsley said, "fair."

"Speaking of Benjy," Sirius pointed out, "what are we going to tell him? We're faking Regulus's death, but storing him in your house?"

"I'm not an object," Regulus hisses, "you can't store me."

 "Sorry," Sirius said, but really wasn't.

"I'll deal with it," Lydia brushed the two off, "but you're going to have to get used to Benjy. He's going to be your housemate after all. And I expect you to help me plan my wedding as well. It's really stressful you know."

"Benjy!" Lydia jumped on her fiancee minutes later, "it's time for you to officially meet Regulus."

"What is going on love?" Benjy pinches his nose, "is this another dumb prank of yours?"

"Ouch," Lydia faked a heart attack, "and from my own fiancee as well."

"As your fiancee," Benjy doesn't fall to her bait, "I know you better than that. So I'll repeat myself. What is going on?"

"He'll be good for you little heart," Fleamont whispers to his daughter, "help keep you on track."

"He will, won't he?" Lydia whispered softly. The toll of her life being displayed to the world was finally being taken. She wasn't a fool, despite what others liked to say. She was a scarily intelligent and capable witch, who simply lived in the moment. She possessed an excellent sense of humor, but far too often, to her regret, she found herself going too far. She couldn't help but show off, twirling her hair like a princess. She wasn't afraid to expose herself to the world. The only secrets she kept were those that didn't fully belong to her. Most people hid their crushes, afraid of rejection. She never did. People were just too dumb to connect the dots. Anyone who spent enough time with her knew she was smitten. She lived life in the moment, relishing in things like quidditch and dueling. The only issue was these were not fit for a mother. She failed her daughter. She left her alone to the mercy of her enemies. Enemies, had she been a little more thoughtful, that wouldn't have existed in the first place.

Sirius, knowing where his sister's thoughts probably were, squeezed her hand. "Never doubt your goodness," he tells her, "you've saved and cared for more people than the other way around."

"Regulus here has defected from the death eaters," Lydia gets straight to the point, "so we've faked his death. He'll be living with us now."

"Okay then," Benjy shrugged, "welcome Regulus. Pleasure to meet you. I'm Benjy Fenwick."

"Regulus Black," Regulus nodded, "although you were already aware."

"I have to get to work," Benjy kisses Lydia, "hurry up. Mad-Eye will kill me if you're late."