Chapter 5

After a long day of washing laundry, it's finally lunchtime. As team laundry walks to lunch I can't help but look around at the prison architecture more. Now that I look at it, the same women pilasters are everywhere, even as statues.

"Those are the royals. They died out a long long time ago. Four hundred years ago to be exact."

I jumped at the sound of Daisy's raspy voice. I cleared my throat before responding to her.

"How did they die out? Don't royals usually pass down their crown to an heir?"

"That's the thing. The royals never had an heir. They say that the royal women fell in obsessive love with another woman despite homosexuality being a crime back then. The men in the royal family did not like that so they tried to separate the peasant woman from the royal women. This led to the royal women killing the men and re-establishing rules, such as making homosexuality legal. Unfortunately, the royals refused to lay or let their partner lay with anyone else besides each other which led to an heir never being born."

I looked at her shocked.

"Couldn't they just adopt or something?"

Daisy shakes her head before opening her mouth.

"They didn't get the time to. The peasant girl was miserable which led to her killing herself. Soon after the Royal women followed behind not wanting to live on this earth without her. That's the tale of the royal obsession or as we call it now, Queen Talia's obsessive disorder. But who knows if this is true? It's only a rumor."

I was in awe of Daisy's story. I just couldn't wrap my head around it. What caused the royals to fall in love with a peasant and how did their love turn to something so violent? Why put their likeness all around a prison? I didn't have enough time to contemplate the story as the cafeteria was now in view. The archway was held by two statues of women, or two of the royal women as Daisy explained.

As we entered the cafeteria there were tons of chairs and tables spread out throughout the large room. The majority of the girls were already there as loud talking and clanking of trays hitting the tables echoed throughout the room.

After getting my food I took a deep breath turning to Daisy only to see she left to go to her clique. So I searched for Jessi but she was also with a clique. Feeling alone and nervous I made my way to an empty table in the corner. Unlike all the other tables this one looked more vandalized and beat up. The words slut, whore, worthless cunt,  and other hurtful writings were scribbled on the tabletop. The chairs had scratches on them and the legs of the table were uneven.

With a disgusted look, I sit down with my tray of food.  For today's food, we are having chunky mashed potatoes, a stale piece of bread cut into two, plain green beans with no seasoning, a mysterious meat chunk, and a cup of water. I would be lying if I said that this looked appetizing.

I decided to start by eating the green beans since at least I know the possibility of it being expired is less likely than anything else on this tray. As I'm eating I can't help but feel like I'm being watched. As I look up I'm met with two women.

One woman was concerningly slim and had pale porcelain skin with a cool white undertone. There was not a single flaw on her face. Not a scar, a mole, a freckle, or a pimple. She had blue narrowed eyes with a bit of dark purple under them as if she hasn't slept in days. Her dyed pink medium-length hair was in two pigtails with a ribbon tied in a bow on both of them giving her an almost child-like appearance.

The other girl, however, was quite the opposite. She was rather pudgy with dark brown skin, black curly hair in an afro style, and light brown eyes that made her more intimidating. She had two moles under her left eye and one mole under the right. Unlike everyone else, she wore the top of her jumpsuit off leaving it to dangle behind her like when you tie your jacket around your waist. Her huge cleavage peaked from the white v-neck shirt she was wearing underneath the jumpsuit.