Chapter 15

I blink as I awaken in my pod. The capsule door is open as if I was never sealed in, to begin with. I scrambled out of the pod as I looked around the mission center. It feels...emptier than when I left. I wandered the halls in search of someone as I yelled out the names of all the workers I knew, including my commander.

"Sir, what do we do?"

I come to a halt at my commander's office as he stands straight up, facing the window with a scientist adjusting his glasses behind him with a clipboard.

"Her vitals are unstable, and the game is crashing. We need to pull her and the others as soon as possible."

Pull who? Me?

"No."

I blink as I inch closer in confusion.

"No? But sir, if we don't pull them out now, they can all -"

"-I'm aware of what could happen, lieutenant. The stakes are too high to shut it all down now. You will continue to run the game and keep an eye on their vitals, but nothing more."

"Please, sir. Their bodies...it's decaying. Can't we just pull them and try agai-"

I jumped as my commander turned towards the scientist with a wild look in his eyes before slamming his hand against the desk.

"I WILL NOT REPEAT MYSELF!"

My commander effortlessly throws the desk out of his way with one hand as he closes in on the scientist, who whimpers and cowards at the commander's large muscular physique.

"I DID NOT DO ALL OF THIS JUST TO FAIL AGAIN. THIS PLANET IS SUFFERING AND I WILL LET ANOTHER HUNDRED OF THEM SUFFER BEFORE I THROW AWAY MY CHANCE TO BE WITH MY LOVE AGAIN. MARIA! M-MARIA MY LOVE, MY QUEEN, MY ELITE. MARIA COME BACK TO ME. EVERYTHING I'M DOING IS FOR YOU, CAN'T YOU SEE? DO YOU NEED MORE, I CAN DO MORE MY LOVE I PROMISE!"

His...Elite? I gasp as my commander laughs hysterically before grabbing the scientist by the throat and gripping it tighter and tighter until.

"Y/n."

What.

"Y/n!"

I gasped as I jolted awake. I'm back in Silent Heights? Jesse watches me concerned as I grip my chest. I could feel my heart drumming against my rib cage as it barely left any room for my lungs to expand. I feel like I'm suffocating.

"Hey y/n, it's ok. Hey, shhhh, breathe with me. It's ok."

Tears streamed from my face as Jesse immediately pulled me into her chest. I closed my eyes as I listened to the rhythm of her heart. I released a shaky breath as my heart started to match her rhythm. Eventually, I calmed down as Jesse continued to rock us back and forth her grip on my head, tightened in a comforting way.

"He's lying to us."

I whisper as I finally take in what I saw. Jesse looks down at me, confused.

"What was that, sweetheart?"

I ignored her as I continued to murmur thoughts to myself.

"He can let us out of this hell anytime. He is lying to us. I...I need to find the others."

With that, I abruptly stand to my feet and begin to run out of the cell, leaving a yelling Jesse behind. As I run past the guards, they yelp as they complain about how they haven't woke everyone up yet and how the head guard will be hearing about this. I couldn't care less as I went cell to cell, prisoner to prisoner trying to find anyone with the same player cuff as mine.

Before I knew it, I ran into a prison, sending us both to the floor with a loud thud.

"Hey! Watch where you're going?"