25 | Peter Pettigrew

When I got into my dorm, I found a hoard of books on my floor except for one. I'm sure you can guess.

I began picking up each book, eying Hogwarts: 1971-1972 until they were all on my trunk.

"Did you see who did this?"

"No!" Mandy sobbed as the fear of someone breaking into our dorm flooded her.

I got onto my bed and noticed that the page the book was turned to was now all Gryffindor students with last names starting with P - the very page that the dog had attacked.

Who's important on here?

My eyes landed on a very familiar face with an even more familiar name. "James Potter," I whispered so Sue and Mandy couldn't hear. "I'll figure out who broke into our dorm, I promise."

I hadn't realized it, but I skimmed over a name that was far more important.

•••

The next Hogsmeade visit came around. "I can't go," I said as my friends gathered their coats and scarves.

"Why not?" Sue whined. "It better not be because of that break-in."

Mandy began picking at the scratches left by her cats back home and Morag took her hands. "Sue!"

"Sorry, it's just- Don't you think that you shouldn't let something like that keep you from doing things that are fun?"

"I find investigating things very fun," I said, slinging my bag over my shoulder as I do every morning.

I followed them to the courtyard and bid them goodbye before leaving for the library.

"Hey, Y/N!"

I heard two voice simultaneously call me and I knew of only one pair that could be so in sync.

"Hey George, Fred." I smiled at the two as they appeared before me. "I thought you were at Hogsmeade."

"Well, we've assigned ourselves a mission and you're a very vital piece of this step," Fred proclaimed.

"You need the Marauder's Map?"

"We nee- Wait, how'd you know?"

I laughed and reached into my bag to pull out the piece of parchment. "I don't really think I have anything else that's important to you. Here."

George chuckled. "Brilliant! We're planning on giving it to Harry so-"

"So he can go to Hogsmeade?"

"Right again!"

"Just tell him not to go down the one under the Whomping Willow."

I could've told them to tell him that he just needed to somehow press the knot at the bottom of the trunk, but Harry couldn't go down that way. That's where I was going.

"Hey Crookshanks," I greeted the small cat as it came to a trot beside me. "Nothing to do with Hermione at Hogsmeade?"

We went outside and he maneuvered through the Whomping Willow's branches and pressed on the knot at the base of the tree.

Once the branches ceased in thrashing, I followed Crookshanks into the opening and down the passageway.

When we got there, I was pleased to see the black dog seated on the dusty bed. "Hello again," I said when he ran up to me.

I opened my bag and held out a slab of meat, which he took gladly.

He and Crookshanks sat beside each other while I sat on the ground with a notebook spread on my lap.