31 | Snape Hasn't Moved On

"Professor-"

"You think I'm a fool, Miss Griffin?" He turned his head, not moving his wand from Professor Lupin's chest. "You think that I did not catch on to your secret excursions to the Whomping Willow? Your odd sign outs from the library?"

I glared, not at him specifically, but at his wand that was aimed at Professor Lupin's chest.

"Two more for Azakaban tonight," Snape said with pride.

"You fool," spat Professor Lupin. "Is a schoolboy grudge worth putting an innocent man back inside Azkaban?"

Snake-like cords burst from Snape's wand and wrapped around Professor Lupin's mouth, ankles, and wrists, making him lose his balance and topple over.

"Professor!" I screamed, making a move to help him but being pulled back by Sirius.

"Taking little girls hostage, now that's a new low, Sirius," Snape enunciated, although his facial expression clearly showed no worry for me.

I stepped away from Sirius. "Professor, you don't understand-"

"It seems that you have, once again, meddled in places where you were not welcome. I advise that you step back. You are already facing expulsion for helping a murderer and keeping a secret that could endanger the entire school."

"Brilliant, Snape. Once again, you've put your keen and penetrating mind to the task and, as usual, come to the wrong conclusion," Sirius sneered.

Snape, fury in his sunken eyes, aimed his wand between Sirius' eyes. "Give me a reason. I beg you."

"Professor, please!" I begged.

"Vengeance is very sweet," Snape carried on, ignoring me. "How I hoped that I would be the one to catch you."

"Why don't you go along and play with your chemistry set?"

I stared, terrified but at the same time, intrigued. Did Sirius Black become my hero from a singular, eleven word sentence? Perhaps.

Hermione hissed at me and I turned, seeing her making a subtle motion for me to move back, her, Ron, and Harry holding their wands.

Before Snape could lead Sirius out of the room, Harry stood in the doorway, blocking their path.

"Get out of the way, Potter, you're in enough trouble already," Snape ordered.

"...Expelliarmus!"

Snape flew back from the impact of each person's magic hitting him.

I let out a shaky breath, clutching my chest. "You just attacked a teacher." My lips curled up. "Brilliant."

Hermione, on the other hand, looked incredibly worried.

Professor Lupin struggled against his bonds and Sirius knelt down, untying him.

"Thank you, Harry," he said once he was free.

"I'm not saying I believe you."

"Then it's time we offer you some proof."

All eyes turned to Ron, who defended his rat as if Scabbers had actually contributed to anyone's life.

"If you're doubtful," I turned to Sirius, "how did you figure out that Scabbers was Peter?"

"Yeah!" Ron said defiantly.

"This." Sirius pulled out a piece of paper - the headline from the Daily Prophet over the summer about Ron's vacation to Egypt.

"When he came to inspect Azkaban last year, Fudge gave me his paper. And there was Peter, on the front page on this boy's shoulder. I knew him at once - how many times had I seen him transform? He was missing his toe as well... it all added up. And the caption said the boy would be going back to Hogwarts, where Harry was."