32 | We Need More Time

Harry stood in between Peter and Sirius and Professor Lupin, against the wands that were meant for the cowering man on the floor.

"We'll take him up to the castle," Harry said breathlessly. "We'll hand him over to the dementors. He can go to Azkaban." He looked down. "I don't reckon my dad would've wanted his friends to become killers."

Everyone stared at him, dumbfounded.

He was on top of Sirius with his wand aimed at his heart just a short while ago.

One would think that he would be exhilarated that the one who made sure that he never knew his parents would perish.

Yet he stood in the way of it.

"Very well," Professor Lupin backed down. "Step aside Harry. I'm going to tie him up."

Harry moved aside and with a quick flick of his wand, Professor Lupin had Peter bound.

I glanced at the watch around Hermione's wrist. "We should go back to the castle."

Everyone nodded. "Right, let's go."

•••

I held Crookshanks and stood in front of the group, the motley crew trailing behind.

Behind me, Peter stood, chained between Professor Lupin and Ron, who had a deep grudge against the man that pretended to be his pet rat and didn't do anything when he let Peter sleep in his bed.

Behind them was Snape, being held up by Sirius using mobilicorpus.

And Hermione and Harry were in the back.

We emerged from beneath the tree and I looked at the sky, realizing the date far too late. "Professor!"

But it was too late.

Professor Lupin stopped in his tracks, gazing up at the full moon.

His limbs began to shake and I ran over, unchaining Peter from his arm and grabbed Ron, pulling him away from the transformation and dragging Peter along with him.

"Run," Sirius warned, yanking me back and transforming into the large black dog.

Peter dived for my wand and I tried to yank it back, then jumped as Professor Lupin swung his claws at me. I lost my balance, fell back, and began tumbling down the hill that the Whomping Willow stood on.

I groaned and sat up, feeling the pain of the fall surge through me, and forced myself to my feet.

When I returned to the top of the hill, Peter, Sirius, and Professor Lupin were gone, and Harry and Hermione sat huddle around something. I went to see and was met with Ron lying on his back, appearing dazed.

"What's he done to him?" Hermione whimpered.

"Stunned, I bet," I said, waving my hand in front of his face. "Where's Sirius?"

"I'm not sure..."

"You and Harry go find him. If he's found by dementors, he's dead for sure."

She and Harry ran off in search of Sirius and I turned back to Ron. I searched the ground for my wand, and when I did, I tried to wake Ron up. "Rennervate." The light returned to his eyes and he sat up. "Where's Pettigrew?"

"Gone. He stunned you and transformed." I clicked my tongue. "Are you alright?"

"I think so."

I combed a hand through my hair with a heavy sigh. "This is great."

"Indeed it is."

Ron and I both turned and saw that Snape had finally awoken, glaring down at the two of us.