30 | A Long Remembered Prank

As exams rolled around, I found myself worrying about literally everything but exams.

"When was the last time you slept?" Neville asked worriedly.

"Honestly? I don't think I'm even conscious of when I actually go to sleep and wake up."

Between having to deal with Snape ignoring Draco whispering to his friends during the Potions exam but snapping when Neville breathed to loudly and Buckbeak's execution coming up in a few days, my mind was boggled.

"Which one's today again?" I asked Hermione groggily.

"Defence Against the Dark Arts."

"Oh, I'll be fine." I rubbed my eyes, half wishing that I hadn't given my coffee to Sirius instead of having it myself. Who was going to believe that I was having coffee with four spoons of sugar?

They should've realized that he wasn't a mass murderer when they looked at the sugar in his kitchen.

Professor Lupin had set up an obstacle course for the students, ending in a Boggart.

Everything was generally mundane if you paid attention in class, but what I was worried for was the Boggart. I hadn't gotten the chance to face it, and nothing came to mind when I tried to think of something I was afraid of.

When I arrived at the obstacle, however, all I saw was myself in a suit and tie as I sat behind a desk. I stared for a long while and held out my wand. "Riddikulus." The clothes fell and three ferrets standing on each other's shoulders were revealed beneath.

"Good job, Y/N," Professor Lupin said as I emerged.

I glanced back at the obstacle course for a bit and smiled. "Thanks."

•••

On the day of Buckbeak's execution, I stayed in the Great Hall for a lot longer than usual.

I wanted to sneak some food to Sirius and there were way too many people around for me to do so.

When I was literally the only one left, I took the platter of chicken and poured it into a container before running off.

I came to a pause near a closet, smelling a familiar perfume. "Don't tell me I've been using cleaning detergent this whole time," I muttered before continuing down the hall.

I went to the Ravenclaw dorms and emptied my bag of its contents (except for the food, of course) before making my way to the Whomping Willow.

To my surprise, it was already frozen in place.

Professor Lupin appeared, looking frazzled, and noticed me. "What are you doing here?"

"I-"

"No matter. You're going inside?"

"Yes, I am."

"I will join you."

We entered the opening and ran through the passage, hearing screaming and crying from within the Shrieking Shack.

I opened the door to the abandoned bedroom and found Harry on top of Sirius, anger tensing his face.

I aimed my wand at Harry, who had his wand aimed at Sirius' chest. "Expelliarmus!"

His wand flew out of his hand and I grabbed it in midair.

Harry stepped back, his eyes wide, and joined Hermione and Ron in their terrified state.

Professor Lupin held out his wand, pointing it at Sirius. "Well, well, Sirius, looking rather ragged, aren't we? Finally the flesh reflects the madness within."