60 | Normal

Sitting in the Great Hall, there's normally much more than a woman wearing a gaudy hue of pink to catch your attention, but I still fixated on her, with her clearly fake sweet smile.

There was not a good thought behind that smile. Otherwise, she'd stop, because I'm sure everyone in that room thought that was a good idea.

Professor McGonagall read out the names of the first years as she always did.

I spotted Neville across the Hall and waved at him, earning an energetic wave back. I hadn't gotten to see him on the train because I was in the prefect meeting.

In that prefect meeting, however, I did get to see Hermione and, strangely, Ron. Not that I thought that Ron was incapable, but I was expecting it to be Harry. Not because he had remarkable marks or anything but because he was... well, Harry.

Draco and Pansy also sat in that prefect meeting, but it felt like seeing an old acquaintance after many years because his cocky resting face seemed more worried, more troubled, and he didn't look at me once.

Anthony Goldstein was my fellow prefect. Honestly, with my poor selection of people to be partnered with, Anthony was mildly adequate.

Ernie Macmillan and Hannah Abbott were the Hufflepuff prefects. I liked Ernie - he admired Cedric a lot but when he came to talk to me, he didn't just make my whole personality out to be Cedric' little (god) sister.

"Who do you reckon the person who looks like bubblegum vomited on her is?" Michael asked.

Padma rolled her eyes as if the answer was obvious. "When there's a new teacher on the faculty, what subject do they always teach?"

"Obviously Defence Against the Dark Arts, but I mean-"

"We have had two changes in staffing this year," Dumbledore began answering Michael's question. "We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

As Dumbledore continued on to the topic of Quidditch, the woman stood and interrupted him with a strange sounding clearing of her throat. No one had ever interrupted Dumbledore like that, not outwardly at least.

"Thank you, Headmaster for those kind words of welcome," she said with politeness that no one could find. "How lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we'll be very good friends!"

The Ravenclaw fifth years looked at each other, clearly taken aback. We hadn't been spoken to like that since we were five. "We certainly could be the type of friends that don't borrow clothes," Sue commented, her cringing face staring at Professor Umbridge's outfit.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school, progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected, and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

I stared as she let out a squeaky giggle and left her seat like she had just talked about ponies and rainbows and the Ravenclaw fifth years made their usual thought-sharing circle.

"Well, we know what that means," Padma muttered.

"What does it mean?" Terry asked with genuine confusion.

"It means that the Ministry of Magic is interfering at Hogwarts," I said through gritted teeth. "Fudge kept Cedric's death and the return of You-Know-Who a secret so it wouldn't cause an interference, but Dumbledore told us anyway. He's clearly trying to interfere here now because he doesn't trust Dumbledore anymore."