Chapter 36

Dakota's eyes flew open as she shot up in bed. She looked around, her breath coming in short, choppy gasps. The white walls made her squint as her eyes adjusted.

"Ms. Taylor?"

She turned to see a nurse looking at her in concern.

"Ms. Taylor, can you tell me where you are right now?"

"I-I don't know."

"That's okay. Let me get a doctor. Just stay where you are."

As the nurse power walked down the hallway, Dakota could hear her calling for the doctor on the floor. It didn't take long before she came back with another woman next to her in a white coat.

"I'm Dr. Watkins. Can you tell me where you are, Dakota?" said the woman in a soft voice.

"I'm assuming the hospital if you are a doctor?"

"Good. Do you remember what happened?" she asked.

Dakota frowned, trying to remember where she was before she woke up. She looked back at the door to see a police officer was there. She gasped as her memory of Colt being carried off in flight for life came roaring back.

"Where's Colt?" she asked as she pushed herself up to get out of bed.

"Please, stay in -"

"Tell me where is he," said Dakota as her vision clouded over from tears forming.

"He's not out of the woods yet, but he's alive."

She took in a few shaky breaths. The nurse patted her shoulder delicately, offering comfort the best she could.

"I need to see him."

"That will have to wait. He just got out of surgery a few minutes ago. If you are up for it, this gentleman has been waiting for some time to talk to you. If you don't feel ready yet, I can tell him you need to rest a bit longer," said the doctor in a whisper.

"No, he can come in."

The doctor motioned for the police officer to come in. Dakota noticed the officer's military-style haircut and felt a sense of camaraderie, knowing they may share a common background.

"I'll be right outside. If she gets too upset, please let me know. She's been through enough," said the doctor quietly to him.

He nodded in agreement, then shifted his gaze back to Dakota as they left the room.

"Ms. Taylor, I just need to ask you a few questions about what happened to you."

Dakota gripped the sheet in her hand and nodded for him to continue.

"Why don't you start from the beginning? Tell me how he captured you and what happened next."

Dakota went through every detail she could remember, much like her conversation with Colt all those months ago when they first met. As she approached the time when Colt found her, her memory went foggy.

"I'm sorry, I can't remember much after Colt found me. I only remember bits and pieces," she said quietly.

"We found the cabin. Do you remember what happened to Collin?"

Dakota shook her head.

"What's the last thing you remember?"

"Colt leaving in the helicopter."

"Work backwards from there."

The memory of her running through the woods with Colt, panting, and her heart racing, came flooding back.