Chapter 6

Dakota sank into the couch with a cold bottle of beer in her hands. She typically tried to stay away from drinking two days in a row but the demons were at play today. She had been struggling throughout the evening to ignore the memories that would cloud her mind.

"Dakota?"

She glanced up from the apparent staring contest she was having with the rug beneath her feet to see Colt standing in front of her. He was dressed to go out. His shiny black cowboy boots matched the black button down shirt and cowboy hat. The steel color in his eyes were a stark difference than his ensemble.

"I'm heading to the bar. Do you want to come along?"

"Nope, I'm good," said Dakota with a forced smile.

Colt was looking down at her in concern. She didn't want his sympathy or for him to babysit her.

"Have a good time," said Dakota as she kept the fake grin plastered on her lips.

He shrugged and gave her a long sideways glance before leaving. It reminded her of when she first met him. He wasn't convinced then and she was sure he wasn't now. She threw her back into the couch and took another swig of the beer in her hand.

"This isn't going to cut it," she whispered to herself.

She stood up and went to the liquor cabinet. It was the one place in the house she tried to avoid but tonight was different. She needed to drown out the noise in her head. She didn't tell Colt but the last rule was because of her past habit. Being a daily heavy drinker almost destroyed her. It was only when she finally got the help she didn't know she needed that she changed her ways. Probably not for the better since she now was a heavy smoker some days to curb the alcohol cravings.

Dakota poured the whiskey in a small crystal tumbler, careful not to have too heavy of a hand. She returned to the couch and turned on the TV to further drown out the sounds in her head. She watched mindlessly at the images popping up on the screen. She sipped the burning liquid as the ache of her body continued to grow worse. The weather must be changing. She switched the TV over to the weather station and listened to the meteorologist warn about a winter storm moving in with the biggest smile on her face.

She pulled herself from the couch, knowing if she didn't get her body moving she would be stiff tomorrow. She refilled her drink before walking out back and pacing the wrap around porch. The wood echoed from the heels of her cowboy boots as she slowly made her way in circles, trying to escape from her thoughts. She took a break from walking to refill her glass again before returning to the porch. She took a few more laps around as she looked at the starry sky above. Images were starting to cloud her mind of blood, death, and pain.

Dakota leaned against the wooden pillar closest to her. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath of cool Colorado air. It always seemed to calm her during her darkest times. That and the horses. That's why she loved her work. If anything understood PTSD, it was those damn horses. They seemed to be born with it.

She took a staggering step back through the kitchen pouring one last glass of whiskey. Who was she kidding? She told herself that the last drink. That was a nasty habit that led her to where she was years ago. She took a swig of the liquid, barely tasting the contents but knowing that numbing burn was indeed the whiskey.

A rattle of the front door immediately sobered her fogging mind. Colt walked in looking as perfect as he did when he walked out.

"Looks like you are breaking your own rule," he chastised.

"I know how to handle my alcohol."

"That's what you said last time when you were driving well above the legal limit."