Chapter 19

Colt had been debating during the entire drive to town if he should hold Dakota's hand or not. She wasn't like any other girl he had been around. She didn't throw herself at him. She didn't even show any interest in him. He had a hard time reading her.

He wasn't sure what to do when it came to chasing a woman. He was use to being to not doing anything and having a choice of various women who would throw themselves at him. That definitely wasn't Dakota Taylor. And, she was the only one he had his eyes on.

"Hi, Colt," said a bubbly voice as he opened the truck door.

He steadied himself to keep from over reacting. He was so lost in his thoughts he didn't see her when he parked. He didn't know her name but recognized her. She had been one of the two girls that he thought of going home with when Colin had stopped by the bar. Colt looked back at Dakota to see she had already jumped out of the truck and going inside by herself. He knew she must be pretty upset with him to be willing to go in that busy story by herself and not just waiting outside.

"I haven't seen you in awhile. I was hoping to run into you again," said the girl as she batted her eyelashes.

"Yeah. I've been busy. I need to catch up to Dakota. I'll see you around," said Colt.

Before the girl could say anything else, he jogged up to the store and caught up to Dakota in the flooring aisle.

"Did you want to look at some tile while we are here?" asked Colt.

"I didn't expect you to be done with that conversation so quickly," said Dakota in surprise as she examined a decorative piece of ceramic.

"Well, I'm here with you and told her that. I'm not worried about who ever she was."

Dakota put the piece of tile down and looked at Colt with an unreadable expression. He wasn't sure if she was upset, mad, or shocked.

"Wait, you blew off little Miss Thang out there?"

"Yes. Is that so hard to believe?"

She stared at him a little bit longer. He could see she was dumbstruck.

"Well, I guess you could always call her later since you were busy with me. I told you before, I don't want to be a cock blocker," said Dakota as she turned back to the wall of tile next to her.

Colt leaned against the tile and stared at Dakota until she looked up at him. In a split second, he could see the effect he had on her and took his chance to say what's been on his mind all morning in a low, deep whisper.

"If I could hold your hand right now, I would. But, I'm pretty sure you don't want everyone talking. I am your ranch hand after all."

Dakota's jaw dropped. Colt smirked and watched her struggle to find words.

"I know you said you didn't want to buy a security system. But, it would give me some peace of mind. Do you want to pick one out with me or do you want to stay here by the tile?"

"It's your money. I'll let you pick. I'll stay here by the tile since it's pretty quiet back here," she whispered.

Colt debated for half a second to kiss her or not. There wasn't anyone in sight. He decided to painfully wait until they were back at her house. That might be too much for her. Instead, he grazed his hand over hers before walking a few aisles down to the security cameras.

As he looked over all the different boxes and informational packets, his phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out to see it was Regina calling again. He groaned and ignored it as he continued to look over the multiple cameras in a box in front of him. It started vibrating again.