Chapter 39

6 Months Later

Dakota walked down to the barn, holding up her rustic wedding dress as she did. She couldn't stop smiling at the beautiful lace that covered every inch of fabric down to her matching cowboy boots. She walked up to the dappled gray horse she had taken in so long ago, standing in the paddock by the barn. His gentle eyes stared into her soul as she rubbed a hand over his forehead.

"I knew I would find you here," said a sultry voice behind her.

She turned to see Colt leaning against the side of the barn. His black cowboy hat and boots perfectly complemented his dark suit. He walked over to her, wrapping an arm around her waist when he reached her.

"You look mighty fine, Mrs. Ramirez."

"You look as sharp as ever, Mr. Ramirez. How did you know where to find me?" she said, adjusting the bolo tie to perfection over his broad chest.

He raised an eyebrow, his gray eyes sparkling with happiness.

"You don't think I know my wife by now? A group of people or horses? She would be with the horses."

"Very true."

"We do have some guests waiting for our arrival. The party won't start until we have the first dance. And, before you try to weasel your way out of it, I know my wife can cut a rug with me as her partner."

"That is true," said Dakota, giving the horse one last pat before letting Colt lead her outside.

"It was a good idea to turn the hay barn into the reception. I couldn't imagine having a better place to say our vows and celebrate than Freedom Ranch," said Colt, smiling at Dakota.

"You can thank the local fire department volunteers for thinking of that and helping make it happen."

"I have a gift for the newlyweds," called a voice.

Ben came walking down the hill towards them. His usual uniform was replaced with formal western attire down to cowboy boots, much like the rest of the guests.

"I just got the call and thought I would tell you now," said Ben.

"What's going on?"

"Brett was just arrested for the false tip he gave ICE that led to your arrest, Colt. During his arrest, they found a stockpile of drugs, enough for a distributing charge. And the whole time we assumed it was Collin who set that fire. It was actually Brett. He was an idiot and admitted to the crime wanting a plea deal right when we arrested him. He had no idea we were there for the ICE incident that we tied to him. He will be behind bars for a long time based on the charges, some being federal ones. Also, he's not the only Logan going behind bars. They found enough evidence to arrest a few."

"We are going to need a glass of champagne to celebrate," said Colt.

"Don't be surprised if your attorney rings you tomorrow. I'm sure he's over the moon right now."

"He's somewhere over there in the crowd, so I'll be sure to tell him unless you want to give him the news."

"I'll let him know. You two should just concentrate on celebrating before you leave for your honeymoon."

"Honeymoon?" asked Dakota.

Ben's face fell as he looked at Colt for an answer.

"I was going to surprise you later. But I arranged for Ben and some others to take care of the horses while we were gone. We leave tomorrow for the place you have always wanted to go."

Dakota paused for a moment in confusion. She held back a smile as realization hit.

"You mean Ireland?!" she asked, trying to hold back a squeal.

"The one and only. Everything on your bucket list that you have wanted to do there we will do. You have some family there too that would love to meet you. They sounded real nice on the phone. And we can always go back on our wedding anniversary next year to do it again."

Dakota was star struck with just the mention of Ireland. But, family? She didn't know she had any besides the estranged aunt she stopped speaking to months ago.

"Sorry I spoiled the surprise," said Ben sheepishly.

"Don't worry about it. I rather tell her now anyway before she gets too exhausted from the dancing, drinking, and partying we are about to embark on," said Colt with a smirk.

"Family?" asked Dakota again in a small voice, just to be sure she heard right.

"Yes, family. You have some and they would love to meet you."

Dakota swallowed the lump forming in her throat as her heart swelled with excitement.

"Oh, and they have horses too. Imagine that," said Colt as he rolled his eyes playfully.

Dakota beamed and took Colt's hand, feeling a shiver go down her spine as his calloused hand engulfed hers. As they walked closer to the makeshift reception hall, all she saw were familiar faces. They may not be family but they were family to her. Everyone who had supported them during their darkest hours were there. She placed a hand over Colt's rolled up sleeve, feeling the scar that Collin had left behind. Those memories didn't haunt her anymore. Nor did the ones from the military. Both of them had healed over the past few months, physically and mentally. What better way to celebrate such a union than a wedding. That took a whole new meaning looking back at what they had been through. He was her partner in more ways than one and had saved one another more times than they cared to count.

"I still can't wrap my head around how we just happened to cross paths again," said Dakota.

Colt looked at her and smiled.

"It was all fate. Divine fate. One in a trillion chances and it happened."

Dakota tilted Colt's cowboy hat back before putting her lips to his. She barely heard the audience cheering behind them. All she could hear was her heartbeat in her ears, feel butterflies in her stomach, and smell that masculine scent she could never get enough of.

END