Chapter 14 - The One You Saved

You open your mouth to speak, but before you can form any words, Ningning raises a hand to stop you, signaling that you should rest. Her presence is calming, and despite the chaos that had ensued the night before, you find a sense of peace in her company.

You look at her, your heart filled with a mix of emotions, and the room falls into a quiet, contemplative silence.

You while still disoriented from your abrupt awakening, turned to Ningning, confusion etched across your features.

"How did you find me?" you asked, your voice rough from disuse.

Ningning shifted slightly, her hands clasped in her lap. "Your phone," she began, "it was bought in my name. So I was able to track it's location... to track you." Her voice was gentle, a stark contrast to the tumultuous night before.

You nodded slowly, as you processed the information. The fact that Ningning could track you down so easily was something you didn't knew. You were still a beginner when it came to technology.

"How long was I out?" You asked rubbing your head.

"You were unconscious for two days," Ningning revealed, watching you for a reaction.

Two days. The words echoed in your mind, each second of absence weighing heavily on you. You had been a ghost in the world for forty-eight hours, your presence erased, your mind lost to shadows. Two days might as well have been an eternity for someone who was used to measuring time by the beat of battle.

"Why did you look for me?" You asked.

"I miss you..." Ningning admitted. "I wanted to see you."

Ningning's gaze was filled with concern as she leaned forward. "What's happening with you? The group has been really down since you got fired. Everyone's worried."

Your eyes dropped, a bitter smile touching the corners of your mouth. "It's my own doing," you confessed, your voice barely above a whisper. "I'm a coward, Ningning. I couldn't face my past, nor could I face them with the truth. I've let everyone down." Your admission hung heavy in the air, a stark contrast to the warrior facade you always presented. "Wherever I go I bring trouble. I am planning on leaving the country. There is no place for me here..."

Ningning's eyes widened in disbelief as your words sank in. "You're leaving? Just like that?"

"I am," You said firmly, your gaze steady and resolute. "Every moment I've been here, trouble has followed, putting you all in danger. It's better for everyone if I just... disappear."

"But you're part of the reason we've been safe all this time," Ningning protested, her voice tinged with desperation. "You can't just give up and leave!"

You shook your head slowly. "It's because of me that danger keeps knocking on our door. My presence here endangers all of you. Maybe, without me, you'll have a chance at a peaceful life."

Ningning slumped back. The thought of you leaving, admitting defeat, it wasn't like you. Yet, the resolve in your eyes told her that you had made up your mind, and it pained her to see the unyielding guardian she knew reduced to surrender.

"This isn't the (Y/N) I know." She began. "I know from the bottom of my heart that you're not the type of person to give up just like that. I know that you are someone who protects someone until the very end. I know that."

The silence in the room was heavy, broken only by your ragged breathing. Ningning's eyes were filled with concern, but you couldn't meet her gaze. You felt unworthy.

You shook your head.

"I'm not who you think I am, Ningning," you finally said, your voice hollow. "I'm not a good person. I'm far from it."