Chapter 15 - Investigation

The temple room was quiet, the only light coming from the moon spilling through the high windows. You sat across from Ningning, a solemn look etched across your features. Ningning's eyes were fixed on you, a mixture of concern and curiosity dancing within them.

With a deep breath, as if you were about to unload a burden you'd been carrying for centuries, you slowly turned your palms upward. Ningning watched, her breath caught in her throat. Suddenly, your hands began to emanate a soft, ethereal blue glow, the light intensifying until it filled the room with a calm, otherworldly luminescence.

Ningning's eyes widened in amazement, her previous worries momentarily forgotten. "Wow," she breathed out, a childlike wonder overtaking her. "W-What is this? It's like... like magic!"

You watched her, the tension in your shoulders easing just a touch at her reaction. "It is Qi," you said, your voice steady but low. "The energy of life. But not from your world. I'm... I am not from this world, Ningning."

You braced yourself, expecting fear, rejection, and perhaps even horror. But Ningning simply leaned forward, her gaze filled with an unquenchable fascination. "So you're like those characters from the fantasy dramas?" she said with an excited squeal. "This is incredible! You have actual powers!"

The corners of your mouth twitched, surprised by her enthusiasm. Here you were, expecting to scare her away, and yet she was looking at you as if you'd just revealed you knew her favorite band.

"Yes, I guess you could say that," you allowed yourself a small chuckle, the blue glow reflecting in your eyes. "I feared you would... freak out."

Ningning shook her head, still utterly entranced by the blue light. "Freak out? This is the coolest thing I've ever seen! I mean, I have a million questions, but... (Y/N), this is amazing. You are amazing."

There, in the sacred stillness of the temple, illuminated by the otherworldly glow of your Qi, you felt a shard of your old self slough off, like a snake shedding its skin. Here, with Ningning, you weren't the feared Heavenly Slaughter Demon; you were simply (Y/N) - mysterious and extraordinary, yet accepted and even admired.

For the first time in a long while, you allowed yourself to feel not just the weight of your past but the brightness of a potential future. And it was all reflected in the bright, unwavering gaze of the girl sitting across from you, who saw not a demon, but simply you.

Ningning's eyes narrowed playfully as a teasing smile tugged at the corner of her lips. "It all makes sense now," she mused, a knowing look in her eyes. "Why you seemed so lost with phones, why you couldn't read in the beginning, why no one knows anything about you. Because you're not from here. From this world."

You nodded, a soft sigh escaping you as if a piece of you had slotted into place with her understanding. "Yes," you agreed, your voice barely above a whisper. "And while this world is vastly different, some... things remain the same." You reached out, your hand enveloping hers, the warmth real, the connection clear. The implied meaning hung in the air, delicate but undeniable. The constancy of love, even across worlds.

For a moment, Ningning was visibly moved, her eyes softening at the intimate gesture. Then, as if struck by a sudden thought, her expression shifted to one of mock anger. "Wait a minute," she said, her tone pretending annoyance. "In your old life... did you kiss other girls?"

you, whose demeanor had been calm and collected, became instantly flustered. Her abrupt shift from cosmic revelations to personal inquiries caught you off guard.

You stumbled over your words, a clear sign of discomfort flashing across your features. "I-uh, well, that's..." You struggled to find the right words, realizing that no matter the world, the complexity of relationships and jealousy was a universal challenge.