Chapter 22 - Joseph of the Great God

You grit your teeth, trying to maintain your composure despite the intense pain. "Stay back, Aeri," you manage to say, your voice strained. You force yourself to remain upright, using your remaining strength to stay between her and any further attacks.

The realization that someone has targeted you with a weapon specifically designed to kill demons sends a wave of alarm through you. It means that whoever is behind this attack knows what you are and is prepared to deal with you accordingly.

As you stand there, wounded and vulnerable, your mind races to assess the situation. You need to protect Giselle, find out who is behind this attack, and understand why they're targeting you now. You know that you must act quickly despite your injury.

Ignoring your warning, Giselle rushes to your side, her eyes wide with panic and fear. She reaches out, her hands trembling as they touch the wound on your abdomen. The sight of so much blood, pouring out from the injury caused by the light spear, overwhelms her.

Tears start to well up in her eyes as she looks at you, her voice breaking with emotion. "We need to get you treated, (Y/N)," she says urgently, the fear in her voice palpable. "You're hurt really bad."

You look down at her hands, now stained with your blood, and a wave of protectiveness washes over you. Gently, but with a firm resolve, you take her hand in yours. With a slight motion, you wipe the blood off her delicate hands, trying to erase the traces of the violent act.

"Your gentle hands shouldn't be stained with blood," you tell her softly, your voice laced with pain but also a deep concern for her well-being.

Summoning your strength, you focus your Qi in an attempt to heal the wound. The process is excruciatingly painful, the anti-demon essence of the spear's attack resisting your healing efforts. You grit your teeth, enduring the pain, as the Qi slowly begins to work. Although the healing isn't as effective as it would normally be, it's enough to staunch the bleeding and give you the strength to stand.

"You need to stand behind me, Aeri," you say, your voice firm despite the lingering pain. "I can't let you get hurt."

Giselle, still shaken but trusting your words, steps back, watching you with a mix of awe and concern. She understands the gravity of the situation and the need to protect herself, but her worry for you is evident in her tearful eyes.

As you stand guard in front of Giselle, a figure emerges from the shadows, his presence ominous against the backdrop of the night. The man is clad in pastor clothing, a stark contrast to the sinister aura he exudes.

His gaze is fixed on you, cold and calculating. "Are you the one interfering with my plans?" he asks, his voice carrying a tone of authority.

You square your shoulders, feeling a surge of protectiveness and anger. "Who are you?" you demand, your voice steady despite the pain from your wound.

The man's lips curl into a cutting smile. "I am Father Joseph Kim," he introduces himself. "A Bishop of the Great God."

The name 'Joseph Kim' strikes a chord within you, sending a jolt of recognition and surprise. Your eyes widen as you recall the connection.

This was the man who had influenced Choi Taejoon, setting him on the path to becoming the leader of the Syndicate.

Realization dawns on you, and a deep sense of anger and revulsion wells up. This man was not only a high-ranking member of the cult but also the catalyst for much of the suffering and chaos you've encountered.

Giselle, standing behind you, senses the tension of the situation. "(Y/N), who is he?" she whispers, her voice laced with worry.

You keep your gaze fixed on Father Joseph, not wanting to take your eyes off the dangerous man in front of you. "He's bad news," you reply briefly, your mind racing to assess the situation.