Chapter 20 - The Lost Girls

On the rooftop, under the cover of the Tokyo night sky, Elijah extends a folder to you. With a sense of suspicion, you take it, opening it to reveal its contents. Minhyuk leans in to look over your shoulder.

Inside, there are several pages, each featuring a different young girl. Their photos are accompanied by personal details and notes. You can see that they are all reported as missing, each case dated within the past few days.

Minhyuk's expression turns grave as he asks, "What is this about?"

Elijah, leaning casually against a ventilation unit, looks at both of you. "These girls," he begins, his voice serious, "have all gone missing recently. And not in the usual way."

Chapter 20 - The Lost Girls

You frown, "Is the Cult behind this?"

Elijah shakes his head, "No, not directly. But whatever is behind this has piqued their interest." He pauses, his gaze drifting to the skyline before returning to you. "They believe it to be the work of a Yokai."

"A Yokai?" Minhyuk echoes, skepticism lacing his tone.

Elijah nods, "Yes. But not just any ordinary spirit or demon. Something powerful, elusive... something even the Cult is cautious about." He looks at the folder in your hands. "I suspect the Cult wants to harness whatever is taking these girls."

"So, what do you suggest we do?" you ask.

Elijah pushes off from the ventilation unit, preparing to leave. "Find the Yokai before the Cult does," he says simply. "If they get to it first, whatever they're planning won't be good for anyone."

You exchange a look with Minhyuk, understanding the weight of Elijah's words. Before you can ask anything more, Elijah steps back, a faint smile on his lips. "Good luck," he says, and then, in a blink, he's gone, disappearing into the night as quickly as he appeared.

Left alone on the rooftop with Minhyuk, you clutch the folder tighter. The missing girls, the mysterious Yokai, the Cult's interest. It all paints a picture far more complex and dangerous than a simple disappearance case.

You tuck the folder under your arm. "For now, let's get back," you reply, slowly formulating a plan. The two of you head back to the hotel.

Standing at the entrance of the hotel, you and Minhyuk pause under the bright lights of the ceiling. The city's nocturnal sounds form a distant backdrop as you discuss your next steps.

Minhyuk, looking through the folder, suggests, "We should start by interviewing friends and relatives of the missing girls. They might know something the police missed."

You nod in agreement but then furrow your brow, "There's a problem, though. Neither of us speaks Japanese."

Minhyuk looks up, a thoughtful expression on his face. "We do know someone who does," he says.

The suggestion immediately makes you uneasy. "I don't want to drag her into this,"

Minhyuk meets your gaze, his expression serious. "I understand your concerns, but we really need her skills if we want to save those girls."

You look away, conflicted. The thought of involving Giselle in such a situation goes against every instinct you have. But Minhyuk's point is valid. Without her help, your ability to investigate is severely limited.

"We'll make sure she's safe," Minhyuk continues, sensing your hesitation. "We'll be with her every step of the way."

You take a deep breath, weighing the risks against the need to find the missing girls. Finally, you nod, albeit reluctantly. "Alright. But we take every precaution to keep her safe."