Red String of Fate

Soulmate AU

Prompt; in a world where a red fabric determines who you are spiritually bonded to for life. Branch thinks the myth is silly, unaware that he has his own string tied to his finger.

  "There's no way in hell these strings exist." Branch argued, although he curiously stared down at his ring finger for any indication of a red streak of fabric. At the sight of an empty grey finger, Branch scoffed to himself at how ridiculous he seemed to have any hope.

He was the most dull, pessimistic troll to have been born on this planet. Never the one to accept any invitations for any parties, hangouts, etc. So how could he possibly believe that there'd be someone out there meant for him?

  Branch sighed, throwing his head back with a low groan. He fixed himself against his couch, flipping through channels in search of a decent show to distract his mind from his disappointment.

  Deep down his stone, cold heart: Branch had hoped that the famous red string would appear on him. The desire for it to be connected to a certain pink troll was greater.

  He desperately hoped that he would have landed her as a soulmate.

  But that fantasy quickly died along with his heart. It was like a dagger dug deep in him. Thinking of the beautiful, cheerful girl to be spiritually bonded to another. He wanted to be the lucky man. Man, was he incredibly jealous of the thought of who that could be.

  "Agh... I can't concentrate." Branch mumbled. Turning off the TV, he decided to go out for a walk. Somewhere discrete, or to put it more accurately, a place only he and Poppy knew of. She had stumbled upon him, basking in the beautiful scenery with a ghost of a smile on his lips.

  That was the first and last time Poppy had ever seen him so vulnerable. So emotional. That day was very special, and he held that memory dear to his heart.

  On that very day, feelings for the princess bloomed and with each moment they shared, they'd only grow stronger. Branch couldn't help but fall head over heels for Princess Poppy, the one troll he knew he had no chance with.

Branch basked in the calming weather, the brisk breeze filling the area and whisking through his long dark-colored hair. He continued further down the path, allowing his fingers to graze the green bushes, wilted leaves crunching under his feet. The sun dipped low above the horizon, painting the once blue sky in beautiful orange and red colors.

He pushed through the boulder and squeezed out into an open field. Flowers bloomed throughout, decorating the bland landscape with its gorgeous colors. As colorful as the scenery was, Branch for once did not mind. As he entered, he was immediately reminded of the perky princess.

Branch smiled warmly, small yet it was still visible, and reached out towards a pink rose he caught sight of. Plucking it out of the ground carefully, his hand lifted the delicate flower towards his face, the sweet aroma filling his nose.

  "As sweet as her." Branch commented, twirling the rose between his fingers.

  "As sweet as who?"

  A familiar voice startled him, the grey troll jumping to his feet and whipping around to face nose-to-nose with his favorite troll: our beloved Poppy. Branch greeted her with a hesitant hug, awkwardly laughing doing so.

  "Sorry.. I'm still not used to the hugging thing.."

Poppy giggled and playfully punched his shoulder. She was understanding of his feelings and didn't attempt to pressure him on his journey to a newfound happiness. After he had trusted her with the story of his past, Poppy swore that she would guide Branch to finding peace; to allow himself to love and laugh like he once had.

After all, the princess was very fond of the lonely, pessimistic troll. Very fond.

"Don't worry about it, Branch. I understand and I appreciate that you try." She replied, her voice gentle and sincere. Branch nodded and silently thanked her through the gesture of holding her hand. He led her deeper into the field, Poppy laughing as they went.

They found a few rocks near a clear blue lake, choosing to rest and enjoy the other's company.

"I'm kind of glad you're here instead of planning another unnecessary party." Branch broke the brief silence, facing the sky. He felt Poppy rest her hand on-top of his, sending a wave of goosebumps up his spine. Man, did she have an affect on him.

  Poppy closed her eyes and enjoyed the breezy air, "I abandoned those plans in hopes to find you here. I believe it's your 18th birthday." She started, "No one should spend such a special day alone." Poppy faced the troll beside her with a loving gaze.

  "You didn't have to do that for someone like me, y'know?" Branch chuckled, letting their hands intertwine and lock. He caressed her hand with the pad of his thumb and continued on, "But I wouldn't think of anyone else to be with today other than you."

  Poppy gleamed at his words and jumped onto him, squeezing the life out of him. Branch stiffened and that was enough to alert the princess that she had overstepped a boundary. She pulled away with an apologetic expression, "Oh! Pardon me, I got carried away with your sweet words." She squeaked, quickly returning to the rock she been on.

  Branch blushed at how adorable her reaction was and shook his head. "It's okay, Poppy. I am to expect random hugs from you anyway."

  "Still, I'll try to be more respectful of your boundaries."

  "Again, I don't really mind. But thank you.." Branch smiled.

  The two trolls continued with a different conversation, laughing and cracking jokes only they two would understand. What they hadn't noticed was the crimson red fabric neatly tied to their fingers, and both had a meeting end at the other's hand.

  The two were spiritually bonded.

  And Branch had no idea that the lucky troll had been him all along.