Poppies and Dandelions

Human AU

Prompt; Poppy runs a small local flower shop a few blocks away from Branch's university. After buying a bouquet for his grandmother's 65th birthday, he couldn't pull himself away from returning just to see the cute flower girl.

  The small bell attached to the door made its high-pitched ding, informing Poppy the arrival of a customer. She placed her phone down on the counter, displaying her usual sweet smile on her face.

  "Welcome to Happy Petals! What can I do for you today?" Her cheerful voice rang out, the sweetness of her tone matching the aroma of the area. It smelled of honey and rosemary, a refreshing scent that welcomed Branch like a warm embrace.

  He pulled his hoodie down and returned her smile, awkwardly waving. "Hey, I'd like a small bouquet of-" His voice was immediately cut off by hers.

  "Oh! Branch, it's nice to see you again!" Poppy exclaimed, her eyes lighting up.

  Branch held a surprised look, "You remember me?" He asked, slightly flushed. That small detail allowed his imagination to run wild, in a world of delusion.

  "Of course, you've come by plenty times plus I'd like to remember all my customers. Also, I wouldn't forget a cute face like yours." She giggled with a wink, causing him to sheepishly laugh back. His clammy hands rubbed together, then nervously tugging at the strings of his sweater.

  Poppy smirked, finding his shy reaction cute, yet didn't banter on. "So, what kind of bouquet would you like?" She asked, turning her back to him as she began to assort the flowers on the plain white table behind her.

  Branch admired her for a brief moment, watching her carefully as her hands delicately touched the petals of each flower, the usual perkiness in her expression faltering to a soft, gentle look. 

  "An assortment of Poppies, Dandelions, and Hyacinths." He replied, his eyes remaining on her. She hummed approvingly, gently picking out the flowers he mentioned. Poppy began to put together his order, meanwhile Branch took the time to study her further.

  His eyes traced her small hands, imagining how they'd feel against his. Branch smiled at the thought, his gaze moving upward towards her face, catching the small smile on her lips. Her hair was tied up in a messy ponytail, her bangs perfectly framing her face.

  Beautiful, absolutely mesmerizing.

  "So, who is this bouquet for today?" Poppy broke the brief silence, taking the scissors beside her and turned around to face him. Branch nodded at the length she intended to cut, and smiled.

  "Oh, just another for my grandma."

  "This is the fifth one. She must really love flowers, though I'm not complaining." Poppy laughed, wrapping up the bouquet and placing it on the countertop. She moved to the register and rung him up, "That'll be $28.65 for today!"

  Branch tapped his card on the reader, the ding of approval following quickly after. He placed it back into his wallet, grabbing the bouquet from the counter with an awkward smile. "Thank you, have a nice day."

  Branch began to make his way towards the door, but Poppy's voice stopped him from leaving.

  "Hey, are you single by any chance?"

  Her, very straightforward, question caught him by surprise, his neck snapping to her direction. His ears burned as he couldn't find the words, neither his voice. Poppy sadly smiled as she took his silence as a no.

  "Ah! I'm sorry for asking-"

  "I am." Branch finally managed to reply. He looked away nervously and rubbed his neck with his free hand. "Why do you ask?"

  Poppy lit up immediately, jumping over the counter and running up to him. "If you're not doing anything tonight, I'd love for us to go on a date." She smiled, lightly touching his forearm.

  Branch let his jaw drop, hoping that his ears weren't failing him. Did the cute flower girl just ask him out? HIM? Yeah, that opportunity would be snatched up for it might not come again.

  "Y-Yeah! I'd love that!" Branch replied happily, inching closer with a more genuine, full smile. "I have been wanting to ask you out for a while now.." He admitted, laughing.

  Poppy nudged him, playfully. "Oh, I had a feeling. With the way stare at me every time you stop by, I was just wondering when that would happen." She grinned, ear-to-ear. Branch held back from stealing a kiss, knowing it was too early for such a bold move.

He'll just have to wait.

And he knew very well that moment would come.