I'll Wait For You

Branch's POV

  Flowers are beautiful.

They're extraordinary, bringing life to the world we live in. Its beauty cannot become any less, no matter how they come. Found randomly in an unkempt garden by a sidewalk, or as a gift; Flowers are nourished with the love one has for nature.

And, in my garden, there's a singular flower. It lays there, underneath the thick tresses of green grass. It patiently waits for it to be plucked out, glowing under the sun's grace as it feeds off its light, growing with each passing day.

The intentions of withering away were slim, very slim. 245 days have gone by, and it continues to shine, their petals dancing with the wind. Not one had fallen, keeping its unique shape.

  The love I have grown for this flower was unmeasurable, a love so pure—it could not be tainted by our smallest mistakes. The connection between this flower and I only continues to grow.

  "Branch!" Her voice rung in my ears, accustomed to her high-pitched tone. I turn to my right, returning her sweet smile with one of my own. Her eyes glimmered under the bright lights, emphasizing her excitement.

  I instinctively opened my arms, swiftly catching her into an embrace. Another thing I'm used to, her daily 'surprise' hug attacks.

  "Hey there, Popstar." I chuckle into her hair, feeling a few strands tickling my nose. Whenever I held her, the void was filled with her warmth, as she was the reason for my beating heart. Being by her side, I allowed myself to finally breathe.

I felt at peace, like my soul was swimming in a warm river—tensed up muscles relaxing as my body sunk deeper.

  "Missed you the entire day," She sang, breaking apart from my arms to do her silly little dance. Her hips jerked with ease, captivating me to keep watching. Every movement, I admired.

  She stopped, and the same words that would hauntingly replay in my head were to come. I mentally prepared myself, keeping that lopsided smile on my face, holding her gaze.

  "You know, who doesn't miss their friend? Totally not missing you in a romantic way," She laughed out, nudging my side. However, the pain was directed somewhere else. My heart dropped to my feet, hopelessly attempting to climb its way back up.

  I nod, adding more to her words. "Yup, I can't imagine us in any other way. Just friends." I turn my back to her, instantly frowning. I didn't catch her reaction,

  I didn't catch the pain in her expression.

  "Anyway, let's catch a movie?" She threw her arms around me, holding me tightly to her body.

  "Sure." I tilted my head to smile at her, closing my eyes as to not express my hurt through them.

  I fear that if I ever allow my feelings to show,

  That flower will wither away.

Context:
Poppy is the flower in Branch's garden, and she patiently waits for him to choose her (to be plucked out). But, Branch is afraid to do as said, believing she'll wither away (lose interest) if he admits to these feelings and confesses.

Does anyone get it? No? Okay 💔

I decided to take a small (??) break, I just wanted to do one more one-shot before I do!