Infrunami

Warning; brief mentions of emotional and
mental abuse

Prompt; After a heavy, terrible breakup, Branch is yet again lending a shoulder for Poppy to cry on. He doesn't know he was the cause and the one her heart has been trying to reach out to.

  "That jerk never deserved you anyway." Branch angrily spat out, supporting the weight of his best friend as he softly ran a hand over her long pink hair.

  Poppy looked down, ashamed. "Although there is some truth to that statement, I too failed as a girlfriend." She bit down on her bottom lip, her voice lowering down to a whimper.

  It's been a few weeks since her opinion on Branch changed completely. Not only did he seem so attractive, his personality drew her in instantly. In a way no other man could.

  Surprised, Branch stopped his movement. He slightly tilted his head to her and searched her teary eyes, only finding sincerity in them. Gliding a finger across her cheek, Branch smiled. "I highly doubt that. But, if you need to voice out your concerns, I'm here to listen."

  Poppy frowned deeper, gently pushing away from him. She grabbed onto his hand and interlocked their fingers. How had she gotten lucky to have a guy like him in her life, Poppy couldn't understand. She felt like an idiot for chasing after Creek when the perfect man for her was under her nose all along.

  Branch remained silent, attempting to place all his focus on her rather than their hands. His heart seemed to have stopped functioning, loving the friction that came along with Poppy grazing her skin against his. Her thumb would draw circles on his knuckles, over and over again.

  Creek had no idea what he just lost.

  "I guess you can say I didn't place all my efforts in my relationship with him." Poppy began, refraining herself from saying his name. Branch nodded in response, his attention now solely focused on her. "After a while, we sort of grew apart, and there were times he'd try to make up for that, but I didn't meet him halfway."

Branch lifted a finger with his free hand and Poppy allowed him to question her. "You realize that you've endured so much from him, right?" He asked carefully, "So, for you to lose interest, it's not your fault. I want you to keep that in mind." He finished with a small smile before gesturing her to continue.

Poppy nodded and added on, "I understand that, and I don't entirely disagree. But, I feel like I should have ended things there than give him some hope that we could save our relationship." She looked to the side.

"Not only that, we'd constantly fight. Reason being, I would make up excuses to avoid spending time with him." Her eyes made their way back to his, afraid to be met with a look of disappointment. However, Branch only softened at her words, his smile enlarging.

  To hear her blame herself was a stab to the heart. But, a victim to mental and emotional abuse, Branch could not blame her for thinking so poorly of herself.

  That bastard had been adding so much stress and impossible standards onto her, Poppy no longer knew what a stable, loving relationship was like.

  Branch wanted to be given the opportunity to show her a love like no other. Pure, genuine love.

He inched closer and cupped her cheek, as delicately as he could. "Oh, Poppy. I remember the nights you'd come crying to my apartment because you just witnessed that prick cheat on you." His smile faltered, for a split second, at the memory.

"I can't do this anymore, Branch!" She sobbed into his arms, her body shaking against his. Her voice sounded so broken, filled with emotions that Branch couldn't believe she deeply held inside her.

It took every ounce of his body to stop himself from running out his apartment to search for the man that caused her to break down like this.

Branch rested his chin on her head, rubbing her back in an attempt to comfort her. "You truly don't deserve any of this, Pops. You need to leave him." He truthfully said, and he hoped this time, Poppy would finally take his word.

But, that moment wouldn't come anytime soon.

"I love him, Branch. I love him so much. I don't want to leave him." She clenched onto his sweater, feeling pathetic for staying. Poppy knew Branch was right, every word he said, now and before. But, she was completely blinded by what she believed was love.

Branch, broken-hearted, replied quietly and continued to stroke her hair. "Yeah, I know. I know you do."

Branch sighed, "You eventually gave out on saving your relationship, but the memories chained you down to him. The hope for that to return must've been great if you stayed, but the realization that it wouldn't helped you break free." He caressed her skin, running the pad of his thumb over, gently and again.

  Poppy sucked in a breath, "Actually.. that's not why I broke up with him." She admitted quietly, avoiding his gaze as she approached the truth. She hadn't imagined this would be the way she'd confess, nor did she really plan it out.

  But she sure hoped that he would, at least, politely reject her if that were the case. They were alone, in a secluded area only they two knew of. The state of their situation didn't match what she wanted to say, but the setting was perfect for it.

  Now or never, Poppy convinced herself.

  Branch cocked his head to the side, confused. "If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason?" He held onto her small trembling hands, patiently waiting for her to continue.

  Nervously, she tightened the grip on their hands, and looked up at him. With shame, guilt, and love. Her eyes held a fondness that he understood quickly. Branch rose an eyebrow, questioning, and she nodded.

  "Me..? Over me?" Branch finally managed to breath out, uncertain of the meaning behind the wordless yet meaningful expression on her. Poppy squeezed their hands, once, and shakily laughed out.

  "Yeah. I, Branch.. You're just amazing in every possible way. You've always been there for me and I failed to realize sooner just how special you really are. I, I couldn't help but.." She paused, afraid to finish her sentence. But, Branch caught on and silenced the doubts she had.

  He leaned forward and captured her lips in a tender kiss, lingering for a few seconds before breaking apart, barely giving Poppy any time to properly react. Her wide eyes snapped to his and Branch laughed.

  "You have no idea how long I've been waiting for this moment to come."

  "W-Wha..?" Poppy didn't realize the dopey smile on her face, her fingertip brushing over her lips. That couldn't classify as a proper first kiss, not when she didn't have enough time to reciprocate and enjoy how perfect their lips moved against each other.

  He was perfect. In every way possible.

  Branch covered his toothy smile with a hand, his cheeks dusted with a shade of maroon. "I can't wait to treat you the way you deserve to be. That is, if you allow me." He placed his other hand on hers.

  "Oh, Branch. In no universe, would I say no to that. Now c'mere you!"

quick 3 am one-shot! a bit messy but hope you enjoyed :)