First Date, Kinda Nervous

Requested By: @millabatatinha
After World Tour

Prompt; Branch didn't have the chance to properly confess his feelings, so he decided to take the opportunity during their first date.

Branch nervously bit down on his lip, holding a bouquet of moonflowers. With his free hand, he gently pushed aside the curtain of Poppy's pod, hesitating in taking a step forward and into her home. He felt his hands tremble against his skin, with what he could not decipher between excitement and worry.

With a heavy breath, Branch entered the brightly colored pod, his eyes blinded by the colorful interior. He allowed himself to wander further, finding himself sitting on the couch of her living room space.

He caught sight of the framed photographs residing on her pink walls, intrigued eyes scanning the photos. Finally getting to the last frame, his gaze lingered a little longer.

  The Snack Pack; a wonderful group of people who supported him through thick and thin while he journeyed to a newfound happiness. They didn't question him on the peculiar days he'd automatically shut down, only lending an ear for whenever he wanted to talk about his problems.

The picture was truly a memory to remember, it was a photo taken on his birthday. They all surrounded him with deep, genuine smiles, their arms snaked around his body for a warm embrace. If you squint hard enough, you can catch his lips curl, just slightly, upward into a soft smile of his own.

However his eyes were mainly on the pink troll beside him. Filled with love, Poppy seems to return the same look, their noses merely centimeters apart from touching. Her hand rested on his forearm, gently squeezing it as his hand wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer.

  In that moment, it felt like only they two existed.

  "Branch! Hey, I'm sorry. Did I keep you waiting?"

  Branch jerked away to the farthest corner of the couch, grasping a fistful of his shirt into his hand. His mind wandered off and briefly forgot about his date with Poppy. "Jeez! You scared m-" His eyes met hers, the words caught in his throat as soon as they did.

His gaze lowered to her outfit: a perfectly rose knitted dress hugging her, rather chubby, body. The necklace he made accompanied it, loosely hanging around her neck. Her usual tied up hair were in two messy space buns, and lord, did she look amazing.

"Poppy.." Branch finally breathed out, unconsciously making his way towards her. "You look absolutely beautiful." The words were said before he could stop himself, and almost immediately, Branch looked away in embarrassment.

Poppy giggled, bashful, and cupped his cheek, prompting him to look back at her. His eyes shone under the light, a bit more brightly due to her touch. They were so close, oh so close, he was tempted to capture her lips in a tender kiss. But, Branch refrained himself.

Poppy caressed his skin with the pad of her thumb, a few times gently, before bringing her hand back to her side. She eyed the bouquet in his hands and a giddy smile tugged at her lips. "I see that you may have something for me."

Branch coughed and nervously laughed, bringing the moonflowers up to her reaching hands. "Ah! Y-Yes! These are for you, Pops."