16

Dallas

Seven beers in and I am standing at a beer pong table waiting for Gus to shoot his shot.

It was Gus' idea to play this, and he insisted on teaming up with Brandon because he said, and I quote, 'Brandon and I are beasts at this game', which, from what I could tell, was true. Avery and I, on the other hand, were ahead by two cups.

"Worried you might lose?" Avery teased Gus, who was trying to line up a shot.

"Pshhh, the last few shots you guys made were purely luck." He says before shooting...... and scoring in one of the cups.

Seven. Make that seven beers in, and one cup ahead.

I take the ping pong ball out of the cup and hand it to Avery before quickly downing the cup of beer.

"Damn, dude. You downed that cup so fast." Brandon laughed as I wiped away the excess beer from my lips with the back of my hand.

"Just playing the game." I say, setting the empty cup aside.

We had to get two more cups to win the game, and they had to get three more.

"Wanna see a trick?" Avery leaned towards me and whispered in my ear.

"A magic trick?" I wondered.

"Pretty much." He smirked before putting a hand over his eyes while using his other hand to aim the ping pong ball at one of the cups on the other side.

"I swear to god if you miss this." I warned him.

"I won't." He said before shooting.

The ball soared towards the opposite side and, surprisingly, landed in one of the cups.

People surrounding cheered, as did I. "Oh my god!"

"Dude, how the fuck!" Groaned Brandon.

"I magician never reveals their secrets." He responded as Gus downed the cup of beer which Avery had just scored.

Brandon prepared to shoot when a hand lands on my shoulder, causing me to turn around.

"Lucy!" I beamed at her presence, embracing her with a hug.

"Hey Dal." She greeted me.

"Is this the girl from back home?" Mason wondered, appearing out of thin air. His eyes were trained on Lucy, and I felt panicked.

"Girl back home?" Lucy raised an eyebrow at me.

Uhhh...

"I'll explain later." I whispered in her ear, quiet enough that hopefully nobody else heard.

Brandon had already thrown the ball when I turned back around and he had missed by an inch. Avery handed me the ping pong ball for me to shoot my shot.

Hastily, I draw the ball back and launch it towards the last remaining cup on the other end.

Plop!

"Yessss!" Avery cheered from beside me.

"I don't know how, but you guys cheated!" Brandon complained.

"Don't be a sore loser, Brandon." Avery laughed.

"Have you seen Hannah around?" Lucy asked me.

"Nope." I replied.

"Dallas, take a celebratory shot with me." Avery demanded, holding out a plastic shot cup with bourbon in it... no, it wasn't bourbon, it was tequila.

"Okay." I take the shot glass.