17

Kaylaya

Me and Cato walk to the training rooms, our hands locked tightly knowing that we still are thinking about our recent test. But the longer I'm with him the more that feeling is slowly fading, I'm glad he's here and he's well and alive, but now I have the realization.. the one I felt at the end of the games.

The dread of reality.

The reality I always knew was.. and could happen no matter what, but being in it made it almost seem like a punch in the face. Even though we'll be days away from the front lines, even though they'll be claiming and making way for us... We can still die.

I could lose Cato. I could even lose, Priya, Macy, Vadand Zane. Losing the others would be sad but they're not 2. I'm lucky enough Baria will be safe here in 13.

I sigh, Cato squeezes my hand a little harder as we walk another reminder that he's here. We scan the rooms finding Priya and Archer bickering at the punching bag. " Ofcourse.." Cato mutters. He opens the door, " What is it now."

Priya seems to get a whole new wave of flare, " That test was absolute horse shit!" She marches over to us, " They made me help these holograms! Like I wanted to put anyone else but us first! I think that was their attempt! To make me into a compliable soldier."

" How about yours Blake?" Cato asks.

He shrugs, " They just sent mutts and Peacekeepers on my ass. Good thing I only flew a few days ago. How about you guys.. Musak you look pale." He grins.

" I had to leave Cato, needed to hear him die. Sorry I don't look the greatest I mumble."

Archer's face falls into a thiness of disbelief, " Oh. shit, that sucks."

I scoff, " Yea. But i passed so I guess that's all that matters. I'd never leave any of us if it was real."

Priya comes over giving me a hug, " I suppose something like that is similar to the Capitol?"

I nod letting her hug me.

" Idiots." She mutters making the both of us smile. She looks at Cato, " How about you Hadley."

He only shrugs, " Same thing, though I didn't leave her."

I see the looks on Priya and Vad's faces, " So.. you.." Priya began.

" Failed, but good thing my dad is in charge of it... He still wants Kaylaya protected as much as possible so I'm still on."

Pri rolls her eyes, " Ofcourse."

" Don't worry Kentwell, your on the protection list as well." He jests, only getting an amused glare from her.