5

Mumbai

"He gave me a house too, for free. Also, he's quite handsome, even though all wealthy people are." She giggled as she blushed when confessing.

"Yes! He's quite handsome. I see he has dimples. But for how long have you been together? Your father would want to know where you both met. How you fell in love, and if you are ready to marry him." she shifted her eyes away from the picture of him they found on the internet on her phone to her.

"I can't tell him where we first met. If he learns he drinks, he will never accept the relationship."

"Where did you meet? Don't tell me at a pub."

"Kind of," she mumbled, embarrassed.

"Forget about him. Anand will never entrust his daughter to someone who drinks. He won't accept the marriage." She was speaking, but Poonam immediately shared what she planned to tell her dad.

"I will say we met in London two years ago. I can't let the man go. He's rich. Also, I'm certain Father will have to return my passport once I marry, and he will stop bothering about whether I stay in the country or leave since I won't be his responsibility again. This just has to work out. You'll convince him to accept him. I really want to lead a life where it will just be travel, and travel. Look at it. I will also, at last, stop practicing to focus on what my inner self wants. Designing." The more she thought, the more happy she became, which coerced Lakshmi to do what she wanted. That was convincing Anand.

"Ok. We will get you married. But answer this one question of mine. Is it him or is it his wealth you love?" she asked because she knows she can be unethical at times, and as her friend and also her mother, she won't let her make bad decisions, especially about her future.

"Yes, I can live with him." She immediately gave her answer, wearing a smile.

"I didn't ask whether you could live with him. I asked if you loved him."

She smiled while propelling her heart to answer if she did, even though they hadn't yet made any memory that could make her feel attached. Besides, she doesn't even know what love is since she has never been in a relationship. Not that others don't ask her out; she is a player. She never gave them the liberty to propose. "I do," she responded, because even if she wasn't at the moment, eventually, when they marry and leave the country for a vacation, she will.

"Are you sure?" She doubted her delayed response, staring carefully at her elated face.

She nodded, confirming, "I love him."

The man watching them on his TV screen got angrier as he picked up his phone to dial her number.

On the other hand, an unknown number with no caller ID was calling Poonam, interrupting her conversation. When she peeked at the screen and saw it had no caller ID, she let it ring until it hung on its own.

"When will you inform Father? I'm so excited, as I will be able to resign from work without feeling guilty about letting him down." She shared her sheer excitement, and her phone rang again from the same unknown number with no caller ID.

"Answer and hear who it is."

She picked up but remained quiet only because she asked her to.

"I am outside your house, Poonam. They won't let me in, and I have to tell you something important. Can you please come out?" the voice solicited. She tried to match it with anyone she knew, but she just couldn't recognise who it was, and before she had the chance to ask who was on the call, it disconnected.

"Who is it?"

"I have no idea, but I'll find out now." She got up and went outside of her gate to confront the caller. The man who always monitored her from his TV appeared in tattered old clothes that had faded colour because of continuous washing, and as he reached closer, a weird smell coming from them hit her nostrils, which she told him without caring about it may hurt him.

"Step away. You're smelling awful. Who are you? Did you call me?" She eyed him, not being able to see his actual face as black coal was smeared on his forehead and cheeks.

"I got your number from the hospital, Poonam. I have to confess something to you. I love you and would want to marry you."

She broke into laughter at his ridiculed dream, while he looked at her with seriousness and again informed her,

"I may not be rich, but I will try my best to make sure I give you whatever you want."

She stopped laughing because it wasn't even funny and clarified to him, "You want to marry me? Me? Your entire clothing isn't worth the slippers in my feet. I won't even choose you to be one of those who clean my bathroom, yet you believe you can be my husband. Can you see the mansion before you? You can work all your life, but your money will never be enough to build even the guest house inside it. Let me not see you around this neighbourhood again, or I will take serious action that will make you end up in jail. Stupid fool." She turned and started walking back to the gates.

The man on the other hand stifled his outburst because never in his life has he been disrespected like he was today.

"There are two types of world, Poonam. Life in Mumbai is expensive, but life in Delhi isn't. I will make it in Delhi." The remaining words took a jerk when she turned around.

"Do I resemble someone who will live in any other state in India except Mumbai? Do you see Delhi as a fit for me? It's either Mumbai or overseas. But why am I telling you this? It is you people who think Mumbai is expensive. What is expensive about it?" She drew a long hiss before she returned inside.

When she disappeared, her vexating words made him become filled with unbearable rage, which wouldn't be quenched until he unleashed it on her.

"We will move to Delhi together. This is my promise," he mumbled.

****

"My mom said yes. Thank you." She was in Rudra's office at his company, which was on a three-story floor. Everything about it was worth a fortune. It was the perfect kind of life she dreamed her husband to live, but in his clothes, his wealth didn't reflect. She inserted the property's papers in after she signed them in her bag, while he smiled.

"When should we plan the engagement? And the wedding? Should it take place here in India or should we go to London for it?" The mention of London made her remember she had to tell him what he would tell her father, as she had already informed him about it, and he was to see him tonight.

"My dad would want to meet you tonight. Sorry if it is not convenient; he doesn't live in Mumbai anymore, so he is flying from Delhi after he's done with his work. I told him we'd known each other for two years in London. He will ask. Don't change my words."

"Fine," he answered, wondering why they would lie, even though he knew her father from television and he didn't look like someone who is easygoing. "It is convenient. The sooner the wedding happens, the better, right?" he chuckled, falling more into the depths of her love after she blushed and smiled.

"It should happen in London. That's if my dad will agree. Even if he doesn't, though, immediately after the wedding, we can go there and have it again, right?"

"Right!"

Next Chapter:
"Who is the blackmailer?" she yelled on the verge of losing her mind, and her phone again rang from the same unknown number. She screamed loudly to silence it.

"I won't do what he wants me to do," she remained firm while someone watched her from the hidden cameras all over her home.

"Calm down. We will find him." Lakshmi tried to comfort her, but she too was wary because the man knew everything.

Don't forget to vote, and comment 🩵.