21

Delhi

"Fat...."

"Be quiet! Keep quiet!" He yelled, and she muted herself, knowing his anger well enough. When he saw her in his room earlier, he thought she had changed her mind about being married, but it seemed she hadn't since she brought the man's family along. He wasn't ready to watch her life being ruined because, as her father, he knows she can't live in another family as a wife. He studied each and every member there, especially the man, as he tried to detect faults in him.

"The tea is here." The worker dropped the golden tray with Turkish tea cups and biscuits on the table. After she left, Shraddha broke the still silence in the room.

"What's wrong with you, Anand? Let them speak."

"You will also be quiet!" he shared in a harsh tone. It made her feel humiliated in front of them. But more so, offended that he didn't want her opinion. "Stop behaving like you're the first father on earth who is giving his daughter away. One day, she will have to go."

He acknowledged his mistake, stopped her from leaving as she wanted to, and immediately softened his tone. "Please be quiet, Shraddha." His eyes then conveyed his apology.

"I have immense respect and love for your daughter," Abhimanyu started.

"If you did, you wouldn't have married her in secret. We left everything and went to Mumbai when she told us she wanted us to meet you. Were you afraid we wouldn't accept you?"

"I wanted it. It was my fault. I wanted him to prove he loves me and would do anything I wanted him to at any time."

He knew she was capable and might have convinced him to do that, but because he was trying to find fault in the man, he refused to see her mistake and instead saw his for not refusing to marry her. "I'm sorry, but I don't accept the marriage."

"Marriage is a sacred union, sir. They've already tied the knot. They indeed did it the wrong way; however, youths, especially of this generation, enjoy making mistakes. The good part is they realised it and they're willing to make amends," the priest shared his view.

His father, who had been quiet all along, also agreed and told Anand, "If we could accept it despite him being promised to someone else, why won't you? We respect our son's love. Give them a chance to amend their mistake."

"What do you do for a living?" Shraddha inquired, wanting to genuinely support their love even though Poonam has told her times without number that she isn't her mother, but unlike her, she won't turn from her responsibilities.

Abhimanyu replied with pride for his job, "I'm a police officer. A DCP."

"That's good. How.." She was already impressed. He was a well-composed man, probably her age or maybe a year or couple of years younger than her. He also had a great job. She wanted to ask him more about his life when Anand spoke not happy that he had a decent job and was capable of taking care of her-Poonam.

"Let's terminate this discussion here. I haven't completely recovered yet, so I would like some rest. Come for dinner tomorrow." He wanted to include without the priest because he was not sure they would be able to convince him to get them married, but he cut the part. "Whatever it is, we will see tomorrow."

"Sure. We will get going." His father got up, and so did everyone.

"None of you even had a sip of your tea." Shraddha's face fell with unhappiness, embarrassed, due to their low hospitality for not offering it to them.

"They will be at tomorrow's dinner. Different kinds of tea will be prepared for them." Anand replied with a fake grin on his face, wanting them to leave quickly so that he could have a private conversation with his daughter on why she chose a police officer out of all people with other professions to marry.

"Let's go, Poonam." Abhimanyu had understood he wanted to keep her, so he began to approach her to get her when Anand blocked his path and served him a warm smile.

"She is staying here."

"But..."

"Until her wedding," he completed his earlier statement.

Abhimanyu's eyes furthered towards her.
Her heart drenched in fear when it turned dark and brutal. Thinking of what he was capable of, she awkwardly moved and stood beside him. "I'm going with my husband's family, Father. We will return tomorrow."

Anand's expression became straight, as he demanded her in a command, "You are going to stay here, Poonam."

"You know I respect you a lot, but I also respect my husband. He wants me to leave."

"You can stay!" Abhimanyu responded aloud, however, he whispered at her without anyone noticing, "If you accept to stay, the tape will be played right now on your television."

"I won't. My father's house is no longer my home." she uttered and went outside to wait there.

Her father wanted to bring her back, but Shraddha didn't let his hand go. He didn't want her to leave again, so when they were about to cross the exit of the house, he blurted,

"Come back so that we can finalise the date for the wedding."

They all whirled over having confused faces, as he had mentioned just a moment ago that he wasn't in the best health to decide that.

"Please," he added, signalling them to return to their seats.

She was outside waiting for them when the nectarous smell dragged her to the security guard's room. He dropped everything when he saw her and got up, at first saluting her, then he stuttered from fear of losing his job, admitting,

"I am very sorry, ma'am. I know I shouldn't be drinking while at work, but I can't help it. It's been many days."

She turned deaf as her eyes went enchanted towards the bottle. It has also been days since she drank, and now that Abhimanyu has put restrictions on it so that she won't be taking it again, she has to take advantage of every opportunity that comes her way.

She sat down on his bed, and he watched her with astonishment as she gulped the remaining liquid in his cup.

"Ma'..."

"Come and join me. I also have two cigarettes in my purse. The last from the pack." She motioned for him to sit down with her head, sharing a wide, welcoming smile with him.

"She must work after marriage. I didn't educate her this far for her to leave it when she married. Like I am doing now, she will also work and save lives as much as she can until there's no energy left in her body," her father debated with Abhimanyu, who answered him when he asked how her work schedule would be since she works in Mumbai and she would be living in Delhi.