19

Delhi

After putting on a bra and panty, which he bought too, that were all her sizes, she was now watching a video on her phone on how a saree was worn, and while peeking at it, she copied what they did on herself until it was fully draped. It was a pure red cotton saree with embellished black-printed roses at the edge that she was certain would wear off when it gets washed.

"Aren't you done yet? I'm still outside."

She rolled her eyes at his voice that she despised a lot and wished he could just be silent and never speak to her again. An incoming call from Rudra popped on her screen. That was when she saw it was five o'clock.

"Hello!" she whispered, taking the call immediately and going into the bathroom so that he wouldn't hear what they would discuss.

"Hello Poonam. You know the reason I called,"

"I'm being accused of murder." His loud gasp from the speaker got to her ears. "I can never do it. You should know my family has a good reputation outside. We can never, including me, think or try to kill someone. This man is trying hard to tarnish our image. You may not know this, but the first day we met, I performed surgery on a lady, which led to her death. He's claiming it's my fault. He threatened to have me arrested because he is a DCP if I didn't marry him. I had to. For my father's reputation, I had to do it. And now I want to leave because I can't stay with him. I thought when we married, I would get the fake evidence and destroy it. But it is the opposite. He said he has many copies. Whatever it is, I want to leave India as soon as possible. He told me to text you and tell you we should break up. Also to transfer the ownership of that house you gave me back. This place already feels like a prison. Please get me that passport. If you really love me, you will bring that. I.." The phone got snatched from her hand, and she looked at Abhimanyu with horror frying her face as she watched him block and delete Rudra's number.

"Is this how you expect me to trust you? I guess you won't need a phone again." He took the phone with him and got it locked in his safe.

She wanted to explain, but her lips became sealed when he turned and dispatched her a burning glare that demoralised her energy. His eyes shifted to her clothes that made her look modest for the first time in her life, then back at her hair, lacking sindoor, even though he had brought it for her.

"What passport were you discussing?" He slid himself out from her presence onto the bed where the box of sindoor he specially got from the temple was.

"If you lie, I will still find out the truth." He put it in her hair while she shuddered slightly.

"Dad collected my passport, so I wanted to make another."

"You're lying. Let it be. I will find out about it myself." He held her hand, not having the time to hear her made-up stories, and took her downstairs, where his family and the priest had been waiting for them.

"Let's ask for his blessings," he whispered before he acted to avoid what happened earlier. For her to tell him she didn't say she wanted to be blessed in front of him, as it would be utterly disrespectful. His mother might have overlooked it, but he wouldn't.

They went together and touched his foot.

"May you be blessed."

They straightened, and she inquired, hoping they weren't planning to conduct the marriage so soon. "Why is the priest here?"

"We'd like to meet your father with him. We must have the wedding as soon as possible."

"But why?" her restless voice broke in midway to his mother explaining. She had to get the passport first so that she would be able to leave before the wedding.