Crime & Chaos Part 2

The almost fiasco of the last job stayed in Wei WuXian's mind for a long time. It was an unofficial holiday of sorts since Wen Qing had professed to wanting the weekend problem free, meaning no jobs to worry about, so they settled on a neighbouring island to have some fun.

Wei WuXian left them on the beach while he went surfing, just because his mind worked better that way. Nothing compared to the absolute serenity that surrounded him in the centre tunnel of an arcing wave, and the solitude gave him much needed quiet time to ponder their little problem.

He refused to call it anything but, because giving it more attention than it warranted was only making it insurmountable in his head, and that way was the slippery slope of self-destruction. Wei WuXian hadn't made it this far in life by panicking, and he certainly wasn't about to start now.

Whoever the new guy was, who was trying to encroach on their jobs, basically on their territory, was a newbie, an upstart, and Wei WuXian was going to enjoy putting him in his place. That was the thing about problems; you had to nip them in the bud before they turned into the plant from the Little Shop of Horrors. "Feed me, Seymour," became a litany in his head, along with, "must be fresh, Seymour," and he could not help laughing.

Sure, it got him a mouth full of salt water, but the improvement to his temperament was worth it.

A movement on the perilous waters next to him alerted him that he wasn't alone. More surfers were encouraged by his show of being able to harness the waves and were floating alongside him...and yet, Wei WuXian was drawn to a tall man on a pale silver surfboard, and only when it lifted up because of the currents, did Wei WuXian see the turtle painted on the bottom, next to a bunny.

There was no time to appreciate their cuteness though, because the next waves were incoming, and then he was too busy actually surfing to pay attention to anyone else.

Yet, time and time again, his eyes kept drifting towards his lithe figure, the strength in his thighs only a silhouette through his wetsuit, but it was making Wei WuXian's throat dry, and he appreciated the irony of being surrounded by water and still being thirsty. The man was powerful and in control, and his every move was so graceful and elegant, perfectly balancing on his board. It was enough to get Wei WuXian's blood surging in his veins.

To his credit, the silver surfer (because he was anything but old) kept up with Wei WuXian all the way, riding through water tunnels and emerging victoriously on the other side. Sometimes, Wei WuXian would follow him into the arc, and if the water currents twisted him around then the tall man would follow him back.

It was exhilarating and mad fun, just to enjoy the water and swimming and the excitement of the next wave, and the competition was friendly and challenging without being mean.

They were both wearing swimming goggles so their faces were obscured, but Wei WuXian found that he didn't care, because he was having such a good time. He'd never had such equal company out on the water before, at least, no one who could keep up with him, and so it made this experience even more unique.

The other man left around sunset when the golden skies made the waters ripple like fire.

Wei WuXian turned to watch him go, and was surprised when he paused on the edge where the waters met the sand to stare back at him. Then he lifted his hand slightly, as if he was in two minds about waving goodbye or not.

Wei WuXian nods in his direction, a little sad to see him go, but he's not ready to leave the waters behind yet. He doesn't even want to surf now, just wants to float on the gentle waves and think. The combination of warm sun on his back and cool water at his fingertips is just right, making him relax properly.