The Voice of the Soul Part 7

Third Chorus

It's a rare free weekend, a time when they would have otherwise been studying, but Wei Ying and Lan Zhan have already passed with flying colours, and so the next forty-eight hours stretch ahead of them like a luxury.

“We can do anything we want to,” Wei Ying says, looking hopefully up at Lan Zhan.

Lan Zhan loves him so much. He turns away with it, blinking back his tears in case Wei Ying should see it, this love that is glowing out from him, spilling into the universe without a care before Lan Zhan is ready to share it. But he will, soon.

Outwardly, he says, “We can do whatever Wei Ying wants to do.”

“Really? Okay, okay, today is mine, and tomorrow is yours, deal?”

“Mn. Deal.”

“No takesy backsies!”

“Mn. I promise.”

“Alrighty!” Wei Ying pumps the air with his fist, and Lan Zhan has to tell himself to pull himself together.

If he loses his composure every time Wei Ying does something cute, they're never gonna be able to leave the apartment today.

“Let's go to the Shanghai museum!” Wei Ying says, reeling him in like an expert  fisherman.

His eyes are sparkling mischievously, like cups of glittering diamonds.

“And then?” Lan Zhan has known him far too long. Of course, he's suspicious. Wei Ying has deliberately picked something Lan Zhan likes…so that means-

“Nothing! I swear!” Wei Ying is entirely way too cheerful as he leads him out of their home.

*************

The Shanghai Museum is huge, hosting over a million artifacts and items for public viewing. Wei Ying is carefully watching Lan Zhan’s reactions to each floor and description of what the displays contain, and he immediately takes him to the calligraphy section.

They see scrolls of ancient bamboo tied together and painted by hand, books in glass cases opened at specific pages with old characters no longer in use, artistic fans and lanterns decorated with older characters that are simply exquisite.

It's a foray into the exciting past, a history of China throughout the ages condensed into the written form and Lan Zhan loves every minute.

“We have to see the Derp lion, though,” Wei Ying says, giggling.

“Derp Lion?” Is it a new breed? Lan Zhan thinks as they're ushered behind a group of American tourists, and he's looking at a couple of tigers going at it, a fight to the death, and then his gaze falls on the lion.

A laugh snorts its way out of his lungs and tears come to his eyes as Lan Zhan tries to calm himself, but it's no use. His eyes catch on Wei Ying’s face and then they're both giggling like teenagers and trying to stop.

That lion has THE most ridiculous expression on his face, so wholly unrealistic and yet if he could make that face…

Whoever did that to him proved to be a genius.

They stop by the souvenir shop, and Lan Zhan pays for everything, even when Wei Ying protests, saying they're gifts for Huaisang, Jiang Cheng and Jiang YanLi. Lan Zhan smoothly bags them and says that Wei Ying should tell them the gifts are from both of them.

Wei Ying has picked out a replica silk fan, a postcard of the Derp Lion and a silk scarf with purple lotus flowers because it reminded him of his sister.