A Piece Of Cake Part 4

The bar was rocking up a storm when Jiang Cheng and Wei Ying walked in, looking for Nie Huaisang. The bouncer met them and led the way to the VIP area, sectioned off with four burly security guards and some red rope.

Huaisang lit up like a Christmas tree when he saw them, calling over a waiter to take their drink orders.

"Wei-Xiong! Jiang-Xiong! Welcome, welcome!" He stood up to usher them into his booth.

"It's been too long, A-Sang!" Wei Ying pulls him into a deep hug.

The shorter man made up for his lack of height via other skills, and Wei Ying was just glad that the three of them were just as close as they had been throughout university. Besides, Huaisang owed him for many nights of tutoring and finding genius ways to help him remember complex information, and Huaisang never forgot a friend.

They usually met up for drinks once every few weeks, but since Lotus Pier Events was swamped with the big wedding involving Huaisang's brother, he understood only too well why it was hard to stick to their usual arrangement.

The level of the music was high and no one could overhear them here; for Wei Ying, he just wants one night away from wedding talk and making decisions. Jiang Cheng felt like he'd run a marathon followed by a gym session followed by a tractor running over him, so that was 'fun'. By all accounts, Huaisang should have been panicking too, but he looked his usual suave self, ready to party.

"Love the earrings," Wei Ying tells him, clinking their glasses together.

Huaisang always looked well put together, runway ready with a whole lot of glitz. Tonight, he is wearing a deep emerald ruffle shirt, black trousers with a see-through line down the outer sides, and a lighter green brocade waistcoat. His earrings were bottle green fans with intricate flowers painted on, and they were guaranteed to catch the light every time he moved his head.

"Da-Ge gave them to me," he grins. "They're flying in tomorrow morning."

"Are you going to pick them up?" Wei Ying beams back over the rim of his glass.

"Hell, no! Da-Ge doesn't trust me to drive!" He giggles. "And neither do I! I've never quite worked out the whole sat-nav thing." The wink makes his statement a little less believable.

Wei Ying suspects Huaisang feigns ignorance due to his allergies regarding work. Not that he would ever call him out on it.

"Besides, I thought Lan WangJi is going to, anyway?"

"Ahuh." Wei Ying flags down the waiter again.

"What's up with you guys, anyway? Finally confessed, or what?" Huaisang appears a little tipsy, but it's hard to tell.

"No." Jiang Cheng groans. "It's bad enough having to sit through dinner with him making cow-eyes at the Ice Prince, without your encouragement. I thought it was bad enough throughout Uni, but apparently, I was wrong."

Wei Ying gives him a playful shove over the table while Huaisang protects their drinks.

Jiang Cheng glares at both of them.

"If it wasn't for the money, there's no way I would be involved in a gig like this."

"If it wasn't for the prestige," Wei Ying corrects him with a sly grin.

"Or the publicity, which is on another level. Something tells me after you guys wrap this up, you better be looking to hire more staff, because expansion is definitely on the cards." Huaisang orders them another round to celebrate.

"Okay, okay, if it wasn't for the money, OR the prestige, OR the publicity, yada, yada, yada..." But Jiang Cheng is smiling while the other two laugh.

Good, Wei Ying thinks he could do with a night of letting loose.